MBGF 560 large temp discrepancy.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

randyrayd

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 8, 2017
Sneads Ferry, NC
It's been a minute....I searched the archive on this, but still have a question: On most smokes I use a pan for neatness and grease fires and a metal rack over the pan to smoke to all the meat. I started noticing my smokes were taking longer than usual so I started putting a probe in the grill on the bottom grate. It is very near the disposable pan, so would that make the MB display to be 50* or so over the temp that is displayed on the grill readout?. I have to set the grill temp to near 300 to maintain 250 on the probe. I also replaced the useless analog thermometer on the lid that didn't list temps.

Next step is a new controller/readout from MB.

On my 560, I always put the meat on the middle grate with a drip/water pan on the bottom grate..

I paid no attention to the MB controller temp. I put Thermoworks probes on both ends of the middle grate and cooked by those temps.

MB has calibrated their controller for the middle of the bottom grate. I put a Thermoworks probe right next to the MB controller probe and got different temps.

I liked the middle grate because there was a definite hot spot on the bottom grate and there was radiant direct heat from the manifold. I also thought the air flow was better on the middle grate.

Reactions: jcam222
On my 560, I always put the meat on the middle grate with a drip/water pan on the bottom grate..

I paid no attention to the MB controller temp. I put Thermoworks probes on both ends of the middle grate and cooked by those temps.

MB has calibrated their controller for the middle of the bottom grate. I put a Thermoworks probe right next to the MB controller probe and got different temps.

I liked the middle grate because there was a definite hot spot on the bottom grate and there was radiant direct heat from the manifold. I also thought the air flow was better on the middle grate.
Thanks!! Tomorrow I plan on doing some burgers and will set the Thermoworks on two different grates and will see what shows up. My last two smokes, I ignored the MB temp and it seemed all was good.

I have the 1050 and never look at the factory thermo. I had planned to replace it but alway use my ThermoPro so so real need to. Like Smokin Okie Smokin Okie I typically use the middle grate and always use a pan/rack purchased from WM for $10.
Saves a tremendous amount of cleanup time.
The left side is definitely a hot spot and you may want to try the biscuit test to help determine other areas if you don't have multiple temp probes.
20240101_154128.jpg

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky