Archery Elk Season 2016

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

driedstick

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 3, 2011
N. Central Idaho
Well guys and gals, this yr was one of the best yrs we have had but one of the saddest also.. This last Feb. I lost my best friend and hunting buddy to a car wreck. So it was kinda tough to set up camp but I know we had to do it. And I am glad We did. here are some pics from the season. 

This is just outside of our camp,, big ol Pine trees...

The gang,,,, I am on the left, My buddy's fiance, and our other hunting buddy on the right,,, Fiance had a pretty rough time with out Colin here this yr. 

Success, I was able to call this spike in with a few cow calls and Tim shot him at 40yrs, didn't go 10 yrds and tipped over, 

Tims boy and his girlfriend showed up to help. 

Had to have a cold one after the long day. 

You didn't think I would post anything about smoking did you??? 

How about smoked Potato Salad - Smoked the eggs for about 3hrs they could have gone a little longer 

And smoke some spuds,

Smoke away!!!! 

Elk back strap, Smoked potato salad and small taters,,, never enough spuds 

And for those who have never had a campfire breakfast the next day 

this was the best. 

Pops sausage patties came in handy. 

As you can see we eat good at camp

Tried to find the one ripping up all the trees LOL,,, got him to bugle to us last day for 1hr and 45 min but would not come in, sure he had a bunch of cows with him and he did not want to play with us. 

Great times, and great friends,,, looking forward to Muzzle loader season and next yr Archery season

Good luck to all the hunters headed out this fall. 

My smoker is going to be full this yr LOL 

Steve 

In spite of loosing your buddy, it looks like you'all had a great time.

The meals look fantastic!

Point to you Steve for sure!

Al

Looks like a great time in the woods!

Sorry to hear about your buddy. No better way to honor him than to continue on doing the things he loves to do.

Nice score on the elk, that's going to make some great meals.

Case

So very sorry to here about your buddy, but I think this was needed so you and his fiance could honor his memory, and hopefully heal a little.

:points: for the tribute to you friend. Memories will keep him close to your heart.

Congrats on the elk. It's one hunt that's on my bucket list.

As the lyrics of the Ted Nugent song Fred Bear, go, " in the wind, he's still alive".

Last edited:
This post was awesome and brought a tear to my eye. I lost my hunting buddy of 25 years 2 years ago. I haven't gone back to that camp since. You convinced me that I need to.

Great looking meals and I love the comraderie y'all have going on!

Point for the memories and for the great post!

Awesome way to carry your bud's memory forward, Steve:  even better to include his fiancee.  Kudos.
Thanks, she is a very close friend also,,, just like a sister now for what we have gone thru. 

Looks like a great time in the woods!

Sorry to hear about your buddy. No better way to honor him than to continue on doing the things he loves to do.

Nice score on the elk, that's going to make some great meals.

Case
Thanks Case,,, ya going to be some good meals in that elk,,, he loved my snack sticks so there will be a bunch of elk snack sticks made this yr for rest of his friends. 

DS

Steve that was the way your hunting partner, would have wanted you to remember him.Nice score on the Elk Points for a great post

Richie

icon14.gif

Looks like a great hunt, sounds like a nice shot on the elk!

Sorry to hear about your friend, Tropics said it best..

points.gif

So very sorry to here about your buddy, but I think this was needed so you and his fiance could honor his memory, and hopefully heal a little.

points.gif
for the tribute to you friend. Memories will keep him close to your heart.

Congrats on the elk. It's one hunt that's on my bucket list.

As the lyrics of the Ted Nugent song Fred Bear, go, " in the wind, he's still alive".
Thanks, Mowin,,,,, That Ted Nugent song Fred Bear was on the Obituary/Memorial that they hand out. - He loved his Fred Bear trad bows,,, had a very nice collection of them. 

Steve 

This post was awesome and brought a tear to my eye. I lost my hunting buddy of 25 years 2 years ago. I haven't gone back to that camp since. You convinced me that I need to.

Great looking meals and I love the comraderie y'all have going on!

Point for the memories and for the great post!
Thanks Cranky,,,, Ya you need to go back,,, I got closure out of it.... great tribute,,, I know he brought that spike to us,,,, 

Steve 

How did I miss this? Looks like a good time had there. Sorry bout your buddy but it sounds like he was there with ya.

DS, sorry for your loss ! That does look like one great time was had, good campfire food & some cold ones ! Congrats on the elk... I think your buddy was right there with you all !

Sorry to be late for this. There is no way to get over losing a good buddy but it is better to have had a buddy and lost them than not to have known them at all. I hope the camp and hunt brought back good memories despite the loss.

Eat, hunt and live well to honour your friend, it is what he would want you to do.

Disco

points.gif
Great post Steve.  That's the best way to remember your friend--by going out and doing what he loved.

Nice elk.  Next to barren ground caribou, elk is my all time favorite.  

Don't ask me why the smiley is at the beginning.  Didn't seem to matter where I wanted it, that's where it was determined to go.  I had 3 of them in a row there before I just gave up and left it.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky