Apple Smoked Makers Mark

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Colin1230

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2021
Merriam, KS
I was browsing YT the other day and saw a video on smoking bourbon. What the heck, I had to try it.

20230727_164544.jpg

I set my smoke tube up vertical, like he did, rather than horizontal like I do for cheese.
20230727_171631.jpg

Poured the 750ml bottle into the pan and set the timer for 40 minutes.
20230727_171201.jpg

I have never had my smoke tube in the KJ so I didn't know how well the draft would work. But it put out a very leisurely flow of aromatic apple wood fragrance. This setup is going to work great for cheese this fall.

To get the bourbon back into the bottle I used my OXO grease separator and a small funnel, didn't spill a drop.
20230727_171420.jpg

No, the dog didn't get any! :emoji_laughing:
20230727_170804.jpg

And for the obligatory plate shot. :emoji_thumbsup:
20230727_172118.jpg

What a fun afternoon. Thanks for looking.

Well, let us know if it sucked up any Apple smoke,
Are you sure the dog did not get into any, lol

David
Yes, yes it did soak up the smoke! A little much for my taste. A very distinct wood flavor. If I do this again, and I will, I will set the timer for 30 minutes instead of 40. I added one Rock to the glass to calm the heat of the alcohol and let the flavors be more apparent. A little less smoke would be better. Hope that answers your question.

Yes, yes it did soak up the smoke! A little much for my taste. A very distinct wood flavor. If I do this again, and I will, I will set the timer for 30 minutes instead of 40. I added one Rock to the glass to calm the heat of the alcohol and let the flavors be more apparent. A little less smoke would be better. Hope that answers your question.

Good to know , little less time in the smoke . Better flavour to enjoy the drink.
I have smoked different cakes and some just soaked up too much smoke , not all

David

Reactions: Colin1230
She's a Chihuahua, loving the outdoor heat. She shivers at 77*. Unless she is on someone's lap.

Reactions: JLeonard
Interesting idea.
Wonder how much alcohol was lost in the process.

As a side note - I have an unopened bottle of Makers Mark that I got at the Distillery in 2004.
Should probably crack the seal on it one of these days. Haha

Pretty cool and nice tropical looking backyard with the cannas. I am not much of a whisky/bourbon guy but, I have smoked water to make large ice cubes (OK round balls) for a friend....BTW I also over smoked the water on those. I would taste test at 15 minute intervals to get the profile you want.

Interesting idea.
Wonder how much alcohol was lost in the process.

As a side note - I have an unopened bottle of Makers Mark that I got at the Distillery in 2004.
Should probably crack the seal on it one of these days. Haha

That was my initial thought as well Bruce. Pouring it into a shallow pan I wondered how much alcohol would evaporate off. Turned out no cause for alarm. No more than an open glass that has set on the bar for 40 minutes. At least by my taste test.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Pretty cool and nice tropical looking backyard with the cannas. I am not much of a whisky/bourbon guy but, I have smoked water to make large ice cubes (OK round balls) for a friend....BTW I also over smoked the water on those. I would taste test at 15 minute intervals to get the profile you want.

Thanks for the backyard complement, clifish. I think the dog was jammin' out with the frogs. Oh wait, the dog is deaf, never mind. 😆

I realize this is an older thread and I'm new here, but don't mess with your booze.
Two alternative ways to do this.

1. Smoke water - pour into big square ice molds
2. Smoke a drink - make drink in mason jar, add smoke, shake

Heck, 5 minutes will be plenty. If not, do 5 more until you get it where you want it. My cocktails smoke for about 20 seconds and are perfect.
I'd personally air on the side of caution, Bourbon ain't cheap, and over smoking it would be the definition of alcohol abuse.

Beautiful yard !!!

Try a small bunch of fresh rosemary, that's what most smoked cocktails are made with in bars out here, it's some good stuff!!!

That is certainly good advice there forktender forktender . That was a learning experience for me and I was amazed how much smoke that bourbon absorbed. I like the idea of the smoked rosemary. I assume it garnishes a glass of whiskey and adds a mild smoke flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky