Apple cider vinegar spray on chuck?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

husker3in4

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
I have had some good success spraying apple cider vinegar on my ribs, every hour for about the 5 hours they smoke. Makes a nice bark.

Im going to do a chuck and a butt this weekend, do you think it would be a good idea to spray ACV on it every hour as well?

No reason I can think of not to spritz ACV. A Chuck takes awile. Every time you open the smoker and spritz, you will add 20 minutes or so to the cook time... JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
That really wasnt the case with the ribs I just did. I sprayed every hour for 5 hours. took em off after 5.5 hours and they were about 30 mins overdone in my estimation. Still tender but a little dryer than I like. great crust tho. I have an MES, so maybe that helps cut down the recovery time?

You will see a bigger impact as the weather gets colder. I have 7 years on 2 MES 40's. I can spritz in July. Try that with a Christmas Ham in PA and 225°F can go to 125°F in about a minute...JJ

Reactions: xray
I spray just about everything with a combo of Apple cider vinegar & brown sugar.
But then I'm in Florida & my Lang recovers in about one minute.
Al

That’s why in the winter I won’t run my smoker without the cast iron pan over the burner for wood and a water pan filled with sand and covered.

The extra thermal mass helps the smoker recover faster...but there’s always a brutal cold snap in late January early February in PA (media calls it “Polar Vortex “ “Bomb Cyclone” or whatever doomsday terms to make people buy more milk, bread and eggs!)....when it’s that cold, my smoker never recovers and bedsides it’s too cold for that sh#t!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky