Anyone know the IT for alligator?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

plume-o-smoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 9, 2014
I'm grilling some alligator tenderloins tonight. Anyone know the internal temp I should shoot for? Is this like steak, sear the outside and leave the middle mid-rare? Or more like pork chop/chicken, cooked throughout?

Eatin' some Florida gator in Denver while watching the Av's beat down of Tampa Bay. (Or at least enjoying some good eats)

155°

Of course this is brined and smoked.

Reactions: bauchjw
155°

Of course this is brined and smoked.
That is crazy! I’ve had Cajun fried tail….but a whole alligator!!!! Wow!

Treat it like chicken, need to kill the bugs. I've never smoked it but have cooked many ## pan fried with spicy red sauce. Very tasty that way!

I dusted them w/ my cajun spice, salt, garlic, lemon juice & oil for a few hours. Grilled w/ 2-zone, smoked w/ apple for ~30 min, finished on hot side. Bugs were killed at 160. Sliced it thin and served. Leftovers = tacos tomorrow.

I successfully achieved cooking them w/o making them taste like chicken. Texture was... tough pork chop-like. Cajun seasoning was a hit. All in all, I don't need to buy gator again, but now I know. Didn't get to watch my team hoist the cup but I had some good eats and good brews with good friends.

Attachments

• Gator-Q.jpg
    Gator-Q.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 17
I believe an overnight/24 hr soak in buttermilk helps to tenderize them ...

GOOOOOO BOLTS :emoji_zap:
We don't have them in PA, but in the movies it looks like they prefer soaking in a "Red Sauce". (I believe they call it Human Blood)

Bear

Last edited:
more like pork chop/chicken, cooked throughout?
^ this

I used to hunt gators.
Grinding the meat is the way to go, if you ask me. Mix it 50/50 with poultry and/or pork. Then make burgers, taccos, empanadas,...

Soaking in milk, or making a cube steak never really worked for me.

Reactions: Bearcarver
I know I'm a little late, but here a thread from a few years ago.

Chris

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky