Any Mechanics Out There

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My truck has an aluminum body . We'll see if it works or not in a couple years .

Guess going to see how long before messes up again. May be months again. I gotta pull master cylinder out of my 2003 buick park to replace windshield fluid reservoir tomorrow. Brake lines in the way. Had to order a 15mm since mine disappeared. Nothing like driving old cars.
Well I finally pulled master cylinder out and got reservoir out of old Buick. Man I suck! It was just the pump housing cracked. Sure looked like crack in tank but it was a curvy seam. Oh well at least tank I bought had a good pump on it. Will check brakes on way to weekly Brewery meeting shortly. Have not used jeep as been to cold to use boat. If stock market would come up another 10% I would pull money to put down on newer truck. I been looking at used Ford's with the 2.7 in them 4x4. Still about $45,000. Never owned a Ford but that engine suppose to geat great MPG and good towing.

Last edited:
Well I finally pulled master cylinder out and got reservoir out of old Buick. Man I suck! It was just the pump housing cracked. Sure looked like crack in tank but it was a curvy seam. Oh well at least tank I bought had a good pump on it. Will check brakes on way to weekly Brewery meeting shortly. Have not used jeep as been to cold to use boat. If stock market would come up another 10% I would pull money to put down on newer truck. I been looking at 5 yo Ford's with the 2.7 in them 4x4. Still about $45,000. Never owned a Ford but that engine suppose to geat great MPG and good towing.
I have an '18 F150 4x4 with that 2.7. I've had 2 F150's with the 5.0 and I much prefer my little 2.7. My payload is pretty small - because mine is optioned out and weighs about 4 million lbs. It'll tow 5k pretty easily, but I wouldn't go much more than that just due to my payload (I think it's 1274 lbs)

I don't baby it and average about 19 mixed. Towing a boat (4kish loaded) I get maybe 13. LOTS of low end torque. Pulls a boat out of the water like it isn't even there. My 5.0's (both of them) had to grunt a little to pull the same boat up a ramp because all of the torque in those is up high.

The 2.7 is probably the best engine option in the 15-19 F150's. Some 3.5's still have cam phaser issues and the '18 5.0 had a myriad of issues, though '18 seemed to be the bad year for that one. I called my '18 with the 5.0 the Rattle.0

You can get an 18 or a 19 in my area with 40-50k miles nicely optioned for 37-40 right now. Mine's a little more tricked out (therefore heavier) than this one, and a year older - but this is a pretty sharp one and would probably very easily pull 6500 lbs.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: chopsaw
I have an '18 F150 4x4 with that 2.7. I've had 2 F150's with the 5.0 and I much prefer my little 2.7. My payload is pretty small - because mine is optioned out and weighs about 4 million lbs. It'll tow 5k pretty easily, but I wouldn't go much more than that just due to my payload (I think it's 1274 lbs)

I don't baby it and average about 19 mixed. Towing a boat (4kish loaded) I get maybe 13.

The 2.7 is probably the best engine option in the 15-19 F150's. Some 3.5's still have cam phaser issues and the '18 5.0 had a myriad of issues, though '18 seemed to be the bad year for that one. I called my '18 with the 5.0 the Rattle.0

You can get an 18 or a 19 in my area with 40-50k miles nicely optioned for 37-40 right now. Mine's a little more tricked out (therefore heavier) than this one, and a year older - but this is a pretty sharp one and would probably very easily pull 6500 lbs.
Good to here from someone who has one. I only be pulling my Alum Tracker which should be no problem. Would like to take a road trip but don't trust my old vehicles to far from home. They opening a new Lake, Lake Bogart soon, if we ever get enough rain to finish filling and going to want to fish it but not going to drive my old jeep over there.

I been looking at used Ford's with the 2.7 in them 4x4. Still about $45,000. Never owned a Ford but that engine suppose to geat great MPG and good towing.
I have a 2018 Sport with the 2.7 . 10 speed transmission with 5 different modes .
It's a beast . I don't tow anything with mine , but it's a cross between a luxury car and a dragster .
I've been buying Ford trucks since I started driving .
20191023_085749.jpg

I deal with the salt brine. Car wash every week in the winter
I've tried that, but the nearest car wash around my house is a good 45 min drive. By the time I wash it and get home. It's as dirty and salty as when I started. Also when I go to drive it the next day my windows and doors are frozen solid. My 2012 is just starting to rust around the beds wheel wells. I'll be doing some sandblasting and bondo'ing this summer.

Chris

Reactions: BC Buck
Well I finally pulled master cylinder out and got reservoir out of old Buick. Man I suck! It was just the pump housing cracked. Sure looked like crack in tank but it was a curvy seam. Oh well at least tank I bought had a good pump on it. Will check brakes on way to weekly Brewery meeting shortly. Have not used jeep as been to cold to use boat. If stock market would come up another 10% I would pull money to put down on newer truck. I been looking at used Ford's with the 2.7 in them 4x4. Still about $45,000. Never owned a Ford but that engine suppose to geat great MPG and good towing.
I had a 2017 with the 2.7, and now a 2022 with the 2.7, no issues. I don't tow anything huge, my boat is a '93 Tracker with a 90 on it, so well under limit. Don't even know its there. Both are/were XLTs, so not overly decked out, but more than I need.

Was wondering about the power of the 2.7. Have been looking at Ford's lately to replace the Duramax ( used for tandem 5th wheel and boat combo) , no longer . Wasn't sure if should go the 3.5 or 2.7. Don't pull alot anymore, 17' Crestliner 125hp and 9.9 kicker and a few add ons (### ?) .
Do Not Like Being Underpowered though.

Was wondering about the power of the 2.7.
I don't remember the tow capacity off the top of my head . The 2.7 was built for the twin turbos . The original 3.5's were adapted , and I'm not sure if they re engineered them or not .
2018 or up on the 2.7 . Those are the gen 2 with the direct injection and the exhaust manifolds are part of the head . Graphite block . The Gen 1's had some kind of issues from what I've heard , but don't know about that .
10 speed automatic with Normal , wet , towing , eco and sport modes .
Also can be set to manually shift.
You get both the turbo's spooled up in sports mode , you better hang on .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky