any hazords with stainless mixing bowls?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeff 1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
I read somewhere once that it is not good to use stainless mixing bowls being kept in fridge for like mixing up sausage or marinating or brines because of chemical reactions. I have me 7lbs of pork cut up in a stainless bowl and I am going to put my seasonings and cure on it tonight then grind tomorrow. What does the hive-mind have to say?

I use mine for brines and seasonings but not with cures. I would get a plastic food safe bin from a restaurant supply.

not sayin that it can't react to cures (because i have never tried and i don't know for sure) but one of the reasons why we use stainless in the industry is because of it's non-reactive properties. i guess do like meateater said and use a food safe plastic container.

Yeah I need to get some heavy duty bins and another fridge to fit them in.  I ended up transfering it into a big plastic bowl which I hate putting meat into plastic bowls. 

Earthenware? I will have to google that.  I use glass for small amounts but nothing big

ETA: hah,  I have a boston butt sittin in an earthenware dish. 

Last edited:
If you bite down on it and you also have fillings, sometimes it can ZING real bad...but other than that I don't see much of an issue unless it is excessively long time.
yeah I had to stop chewing on them once I got a filling in my tooth

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky