1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

any hazords with stainless mixing bowls?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeff 1, Feb 11, 2011.

1. jeff 1

jeff 1 Smoke Blower

I read somewhere once that it is not good to use stainless mixing bowls being kept in fridge for like mixing up sausage or marinating or brines because of chemical reactions. I have me 7lbs of pork cut up in a stainless bowl and I am going to put my seasonings and cure on it tonight then grind tomorrow. What does the hive-mind have to say?

2. meateater

meateater Legendary Pitmaster SMF Premier Member

I use mine for brines and seasonings but not with cures. I would get a plastic food safe bin from a restaurant supply.

3. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    not sayin that it can't react to cures (because i have never tried and i don't know for sure) but one of the reasons why we use stainless in the industry is because of it's non-reactive properties. i guess do like meateater said and use a food safe plastic container.

4. smokeamotive

smokeamotive Smoking Fanatic

Glass or earthenware is also ok to use. Never use alum. or copper for this.

5. jeff 1

jeff 1 Smoke Blower

Yeah I need to get some heavy duty bins and another fridge to fit them in.  I ended up transfering it into a big plastic bowl which I hate putting meat into plastic bowls. 

Earthenware? I will have to google that.  I use glass for small amounts but nothing big

ETA: hah,  I have a boston butt sittin in an earthenware dish. 

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  6. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

SS is fine, don't worry about it.

7. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I agree ss is fine.

8. If you bite down on it and you also have fillings, sometimes it can ZING real bad...but other than that I don't see much of an issue unless it is excessively long time.

9. jeff 1

jeff 1 Smoke Blower

yeah I had to stop chewing on them once I got a filling in my tooth