• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Antelope Heart Dirty Rice...

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
After I finished sharpening the grinder plates and knives last night, I pulled out the 12# bag of antelope meat I had froze to be ground, along with 3.75# brisket trim fat. Filled an ice chest with cold water and let the meat thaw overnight. I took the heart out, trimmed it and ran that through the grinder first, pulled that meat and set it aside.
IMG_20210124_184111.jpg

After filling the 1# meat bags, I had 13# and what was left in the stuffer hopper and horn. I added that to the ground heart in a pot and braised that down with onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic to brown down the meat good. Added a shot of wooster sauce, little hot sauce and some cajun seasoning, little water and added the left over rice.
IMG_20210124_193701.jpg

Good meal and I had to cook what was left in the stuffer anyhow...

BTW, grinder plate and knife worked great! Ready for the big processing day!

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Yet to try any kind of heart. Long overdue

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
As long as the heart is not blown to bits from the bullet, I try to save the heart from all the deer I shoot. This was a little antelope doe that had been feeding on winter wheat. Not gamey at all...

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Bet that was tasty ! Never would've thought of grinding it like that...sad thing is I probably forget more ideas than I ever get done lol!

Ryan

SmokinEdge

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Speed goat is good stuff.
Glad you’re knives are sharp. It’s all the difference.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
That's got to be Great!!!
I even love Deer heart, and we always ate that the night of the kill, if it wasn't too blown apart.
Like.

Bear

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Yep, I keep the heart if not damged. I love it, wife won't touch it. More for me !

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
That's got to be Great!!!
I even love Deer heart, and we always ate that the night of the kill, if it wasn't too blown apart.
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear. It was good. I shot this one out of town in Montana so did not get to eat it fresh night of the kill. Dirty rice is a great way to eat heart though...

Cajun Smokes

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 16, 2020
After I finished sharpening the grinder plates and knives last night, I pulled out the 12# bag of antelope meat I had froze to be ground, along with 3.75# brisket trim fat. Filled an ice chest with cold water and let the meat thaw overnight. I took the heart out, trimmed it and ran that through the grinder first, pulled that meat and set it aside.
View attachment 481715
After filling the 1# meat bags, I had 13# and what was left in the stuffer hopper and horn. I added that to the ground heart in a pot and braised that down with onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic to brown down the meat good. Added a shot of wooster sauce, little hot sauce and some cajun seasoning, little water and added the left over rice.
View attachment 481716
Good meal and I had to cook what was left in the stuffer anyhow...

BTW, grinder plate and knife worked great! Ready for the big processing day!
True Cajun right there. Just add rice.... love it

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Thanks Bear. It was good. I shot this one out of town in Montana so did not get to eat it fresh night of the kill. Dirty rice is a great way to eat heart though...
I usually just cut it up & fried it.
It was usually pretty tough.
Ground up & mixed with rice, like you did would have to be better!!!

Bear

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.