Another pork loin... Love it but I goofed...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Morning all.... The last loin was awesome... this on eh !!! I netted it first, before injecting flavor and cure#1, with the elastic netting....... Seemed to hold the meat together and make it a bit more "toothy texture" .... I think I prefer the "relaxed texture" when the meat was not trussed up ... Seemed to make it somewhat chewier....
Anyhow, the flavor was still what I was expecting... Used demerara sugar in place of white... Can't yet tell if the molasses flavor comes through...
Next loin.... NO TRUSSING before injection and the 7 day in the refer....
OH !!!! I took an unscheduled nap waiting for the final time/temp to pasteurize the meat at 130-135... Seems the nap lasted about 4 hours when it should have been maybe 2 hours... Final IT was 141 ish.... cooked too much for what I wanted..... Smoker temp was 157F...

This batch...
Loin 11-6-19.JPG

Last batch....
001.JPG

Temperature Time
°F (°C) (Minutes)
130 ..... 112 min
131 ..... 89 min
132 ..... 71 min
133 ..... 56 min
134 ..... 45 min
135 ..... 36 min
136 ..... 28 min
137 ..... 23 min
138 ..... 18 min
139 ..... 15 min
140 ..... 12 min
141 ........ 9 min
142 ....... 8 min
143 ....... 6 min
144 ...... 5 min
145 ...... 4 min
Table C.1: Pasteurization times for
beef, corned beef, lamb, pork
and cured pork (FDA, 2009, 3-401.11.B.2).

Last edited:
It still looks good Dave! Did you forget to set an alarm in your thermometer? Lol....those naps, they sneak right up on ya!

I didn't think I needed to set the alarm.... An after thought, I should have set the MES30 to shut off... THAT would have been the smart thing to go... But.... I'm not known for being to smart.. CRS seems to get in front of other stuff..

Looks tasty from here Dave, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. like my naps also , do some of my best thinking when I'm sleeping, don't get many of them though.

Looks tasty from here Dave, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. like my naps also , do some of my best thinking when I'm sleeping, don't get many of them though.
Sleeping thoughts don't seem to be about smoking meat at times.. HAHAHAHAHA

Looks good . Maybe that piece of meat was tougher from the start ? I just did a section from a pork butt that came out " chewy " . Not sure why .
That sliced pic looks spot on .

That looks really good! Ive been doing the overnight cooks lately because i have a little one cutting teeth right now. No alarm needed between my little naps at night. He has me covered on that!

Still looks great Dave.

thanks much Adam...

Looks good . Maybe that piece of meat was tougher from the start ? I just did a section from a pork butt that came out " chewy " . Not sure why .
That sliced pic looks spot on .

Could be !!! Never thought of that.... Thanks...

That looks fantastic! Perhaps I should take more naps when smoking!

You never know what will work Steve... Let us know how that turns out...

By the way Dave it looks like you made the carousel!
Congrats!!
Al

Holey Kow !!! There's proof even a blind squirrel can find an acorn now and then !!!!

That looks really good! Ive been doing the overnight cooks lately because i have a little one cutting teeth right now. No alarm needed between my little naps at night. He has me covered on that!

You are soooooo lucky to have an alarm like a little one awakening you... I remember those days...

Reactions: Sowsage
I'm with the others Dave, can't see a darned thing wrong from looking at it. I always smoke my Canadian bacon until it reaches a IT of 145º, yours looks perfect to me. LIKE. RAY

I'm with the others Dave, can't see a darned thing wrong from looking at it. I always smoke my Canadian bacon until it reaches a IT of 145º, yours looks perfect to me. LIKE. RAY
Thanks Ray..... Well when I smoked the other batch to 135, It was a bit more moist and the texture was MORE "LIMP"... Perfect sandwich material... I think the elastic netting compressed the meat during the curing process and it stayed firm... I don't know for sure but the next batch will be injection cured in the limp stage... netted and smoked... That should satisfy a remedy....
If you haven't used the pasteurization tables, give it a try....

Used demerara sugar in place of white... Can't yet tell if the molasses flavor comes through...
Dave , i wanted to ask if this was the first time you used this sugar .
Just wondering if maybe it " hardens " more than white sugar when it cools .

Dave , i wanted to ask if this was the first time you used this sugar .
Just wondering if maybe it " hardens " more than white sugar when it cools .

Yep..... First time... I guess I'll have to make this again without it... I'm up for that.. Thanks....

I just did a butt ham , used your phosphate injection . In place of the veg stock I used water mixed with Tony C's praline ham injection . No salt or phosphate in the Tony's , but it had corn syrup and molasses . Came out good , but is better heated up . Just not as tender as it normally is .
Just thought I would mention it .

Next time, try the "no salt" vegetable stock...
What temp did you take the ham to ??
This loin was taken to ~135F...
001.JPG

This loin was taken to ~145F.....
Loin 11-6-19.JPG

That's what I use normally . I changed up the sugar type this time and had a different density in the end result . Still good . I was just thinking about what you said above about netting during the cure or not . Thinking maybe the sugar had some effect also . I would agree , no net during cure .
I take them to 145 .
20191011_064334.jpg

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky