Another "please help with grinder choice" thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gomez93

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
I will have some Gander money to spend, hopefully tomorrow. Yes, Gander so Cabela's and LEM are out of the equation for now.
My first thought for a grinder was this one:
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...tainless-Steel-Electric-Meat-Grinder&i=754159
or the same model in a #8 size. Then I got to thinking, for 1 or 2 deer a year and grinding 20# or so a month of rib trimmings during competition season, would this one work as well?;
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...2-Professional-Electric-Meat-Grinder&i=754157
It looks to be the same grinder sold by Northern Tools that gets decent reviews, plus the price difference would let me get a 5# stuffer as well.
I'm leaning towards the cheaper grinder and stuffer for the amount of meat I'll be doing but wanted to get some more knowledeable opinions.
thanks!

IMHO I would go with the commercial 3/4 hp grinder and save up to get the stuffer for later.. Their both good units but the commercial grinder will blow the professional unit out of the water.....

I have the northern tool #12 grinder and it works great. I grind 12 to 14 pounds of pork butts at a time and it never misses a beat. I do partially freeze the chunks before grinding though.  I also have the northern tool 5 lb stuffer. It works good as well. Some people don't like it because of the nylon gears but I have had 0 issues with it. That one in your link is the exact same one.

I have to agree with boykjo..........get the commercial one and never look back. I now own 3 grinders because I thought "well, I'm only going to do this little amount".........  The more you get into grinding meat and making sausage, the more you want to do.

Brad

Is there much practical difference between a #8 and #12 given the amount of meat we're talking about? I'm sure I'll have a better feel for them once I see them side by side. I've tried to research the difference but having had any luck.
Thanks again

The #8 would be a good compromise for the volume you do. Do you have the additional $45 cash to make up the difference and get the 5# Stuffer? The only consideration I would look at is, " Am I going to get so hooked on this fresh ground meat and sausage thing that my volume will greatly increase in the next year or two? "...JJ

JJ,
I really don't see the volume increasing much at all, there is just the 2 of us at home and we can only eat so much. :)

One thing I've learned over the years when it comes to various products, get the best you can afford.  Grinders is one of those items.

Another thing I've learned, depending on the item, is get it one or two sizes bigger than what you think will work.  Again, grinders fall into this area.

One thing I've learned over the years when it comes to various products, get the best you can afford.  Grinders is one of those items.

Another thing I've learned, depending on the item, is get it one or two sizes bigger than what you think will work.  Again, grinders fall into this area.
yeahthat.gif
Once you taste your fresh sausage you'll be thinking more is better. Grinding your own fresh hamburger gets you a higher quality burger at a better price. Its nice to have some bulk Italian sausage in the freezer for pizza's, etc, etc!

I bought the Northern Tool Kitchener #12 in 2012 and love it.  Unless you are grinding a ton (and I mean a literal ton) of meat, it will handle 99% of the people out there just fine.  I've done up to 25 pounds at a pop with no problems (That is the largest load of meat I had on hand, not that the grinder could not handle any more - I ran out of meat).

Northern has them on sale for $99 right now and there is a $20 off a $100 purchase code that would reduce the price to $79.  Not that this helps with your Gander Mountain bucks, but could you use the Gander bucks for a stuffer and just buy the Northern grinder?  Might be less expensive than both from Gander.

Or Northern has their 5# stuffer for $99 and the same $20 off code would work (just buy a pack of screws or a candy bar to get it over $100). Same stuffer at Gander comes up $97 for me in a search and unless you have a discount code for Gander the Northern is $20 less.  (Hmmmm..... odd thing is I see the same stuffer under two product code numbers at Gander, one is $97 and the other is $90)

I'm 99% sure the grinder and stuffer is the same at either Norther or Gander and just has different "brand" stickers on them.  So price would be your determining factor.

Sounds just like smokers ;)

The Gander think didn't work out like I had hoped, so now back to square one. The good part is, I'm in no great hurry as I can "get by" with my wife's KA attachment for now.

Last edited:

When looking at commercial quality grinders, Cabela's vs Gander Mountain; similar models with near identical specs, is the Cabela's worth $75 more? Why?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...tainless-Steel-Electric-Meat-Grinder&i=754158

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...r/744936.uts?WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

The 3/4 hp #12 grinders are also similar but the price difference is about $10 more
Maybe the difference is because the Cabela's grinder has a 5 year Warranty compared to 1 year for Gander...JJ

I got a Buffalo Tools mod. MEGRINDUL  { GOOGLE it } 20 yrs. ago from Northern Tools. Can't kill it. Number 12 neck size. Grind an average 10 deer a year. Still get them on EBAY and some stores under $300.00

Last edited:
Thanks to all who replied! After reviewing all opinions and much soul searching, I went with the Cabela's
http://s435.photobucket.com/user/gomez56/media/Mobile Uploads/20140115_203529.jpg.html
I think it will outlast me and do more than I ever need it to, plus it has the 5 year warranty. I also considered the availability of parts and attachments.
thanks again, can hardly wait for the weekend to try it out.
Congrats on the new addition to the family..................
sausage.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky