Another low carb diet study

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've been low/no carb for a little over two years after being diagnosed type 2. Didn't realize I was going keto until a Dr. friend of mine told me that's what I was doing, I was just following my dr.s orders. Dropped from an A1C of 10.4 to one of 6 in about a year and a half. Best side affect was dropping 65 pounds, and losing the blood pressure meds. Was it rough giving up bread and pasta and rice and potatoes? YES! Am I glad I did? YES! Once I got rolling, there was no way I wanted to go back to feeling like crap all the time. Or suffer the side affects of diabetes, lost too many relatives. It is doable.
Pizza and bagels are the items I that kill me the most. Living 40 minutes outside New York City there are phenomenal Pizza and bagel joints in every shopping center.

Reactions: tallbm
Pizza and bagels are the items I that kill me the most. Living 40 minutes outside New York City there are phenomenal Pizza and bagel joints in every shopping center.
Haven't found a good bagel replacement yet, but I'll make a good cauliflower crust, or chicken crust, or mushroom cap pizza. Haven't tried the bacon crust yet, no idea why not though.

have you tried low carb wrap pizzas? Tumaro's wrap has 3g net per wrap, and there's also Joseph's lavash bread that has 10g net per wrap. i usually use 2 tumaro wraps (6g) or one joseph lavash (10g) to make my pizzas, add a little alfredo sauce, mozarella and pepperoni, and it's the best low carb pizza. it's just enough to take the edge off my carb cravings.

https://grocery.walmart.com/ip/Joseph-s-It-s-A-Wrap-Lavash-Bread-4-ct-9-oz/10323273

Reactions: kawboy
Haven't found a good bagel replacement yet, but I'll make a good cauliflower crust, or chicken crust, or mushroom cap pizza. Haven't tried the bacon crust yet, no idea why not though.

I haven't tried them yet because I never was much of a bagel guy, but I know ThinSlimFoods has them. I finally got around to ordering from them, and everything I bought but the brownie I had has been great. I even went and ordered more of their bread.

have you tried low carb wrap pizzas? Tumaro's wrap has 3g net per wrap, and there's also Joseph's lavash bread that has 10g net per wrap. i usually use 2 tumaro wraps (6g) or one joseph lavash (10g) to make my pizzas, add a little alfredo sauce, mozarella and pepperoni, and it's the best low carb pizza. it's just enough to take the edge off my carb cravings.

https://grocery.walmart.com/ip/Joseph-s-It-s-A-Wrap-Lavash-Bread-4-ct-9-oz/10323273

I have to second the recommendation of Joseph's lavash. It's much cheaper to buy it from them directly, I'll buy a box of 10? packages and throw them in the freezer at work. Then I just take a package out to thaw and as I need it. I also only use a half a sheet for a wrap so this lowers my carb count by half and extends my supply even longer. I need to look into Tumaro, I have never seen it before.

I realized a while back that, while I do miss some of the carby items; I think what I miss more is the convenience and hassle-freeness of the carby foods. For example, the above wraps and low carb breads work great, and are a nice substitute. BUT they aren't as easily accessible as a plain ol loaf of wonder bread or a 99 cent package of hotdog/hamburger buns. Also, when I eat out I always research as much as I can beforehand, but I still at times feel like a big pain in the ass for being picky about my meal. No bun, mayo(real not MW) on the side, side salad, full fat ranch, steamed veggies. I always feel picky, and I was raised not to be that, and I'm far from being a picky eater naturally.

But at the end of the day it's working, and that is what matters. I doubt I will be low carb forever, but when I get to the point where I am comfortable with my weight I'll probably switch over to a more standard diet. I will however be more aware of my portion control, and will be monitoring my weight to make sure I don't balloon up again.

I will have to look into those wraps...I have used carbquick from amazon to make crust and it is not bad.

I am even worse in a restaurant as I am also highly allergic to shellfish (7 years now). I need to get a hold of the chef to make sure they have separate facilities to cook my food. I always start out with the wait staff as "I am your problem child for the meal"!

what Tamaros has the 3 net carbs? all the ones on their site say 8 net?

All this low carb talk makes us sound old☺! I agree with the eating out being a bit more difficult, but it sure saves us money not running through fast food all the time. Must places have been pretty good about subbing roasted veggies for mashed taters and such. Tacos are still a weakness, but still a better cheat than most things.

what Tamaros has the 3 net carbs? all the ones on their site say 8 net?

sorry i was off by 1g, it's actually 4g net per wrap: https://www.tumaros.com/product/8-multi-grain-low-carb-wraps-84945500003
interesting on the buy it page it shows 8 net...what ever still not bad. How do you like them?

https://www.tumaros.com/tm-shop

yeah that's strange, it does show 8g net on the cart page. i really like them for flat bread pizza. they're kind of pricey though, i think around $5 locally but i think they're worth it.

how do you crisp up the wrap to use it for pizza?

i keep it simple, and just throw all the toppings on and then into a toaster oven for 5-10 minutes. it's not a traditional pizza, but basically pizza toppings on a wrap. once cooked, i usually fold it over or even roll it up to make it easier to eat.

Try fathead pizza dough. We use it for pizza, breadsticks and countless other things. Roll it out nice and thin and pre-bake it for pizza so that you get a crisper crust. This stuff is a game changer for keto dieters missing pizza. We love it.

Reactions: tallbm and kawboy
A lot of my friends use the keto diet and they see results. For this reason, I also thought of trying and I hope to have beautiful results. The first step I took was to go to the doctor to do various tests and determine together which diet will be compatible with my body parameters because many make a big mistake by not doing this and then have major health problems. After that, I decided to take a keto diet and my friends recommended a program from https://ketodietapp.com that is extremely useful and helps the whole process is very convenient. I only started this week, so I hope to see the effects soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky