Another Awesome smoked meatloaf w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
Well the wife is working until 11 tonight so I had to fend for myself for supper so smoked meatloaf it is. I just love this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took 2lbs of our venison burger and mixed with 2 eggs, wasabi sauce, spices, oatmeal, onions, A1 and bbq sauce. OH and I was looking for something else to throw in so I put a little of Jeff's rub on top to. I mixed that up good and trew it on the UDS. Man this is going to make a good meal and some really good lunches this week! If you haven't tried this yet you are really missing out.

All ready to be mixed up.

Another shot.

All mixed up and wraped in glad wrap. I used the fatty trick and put it in the freezer to firm up until the UDS was ready.

Just going onto the smoker.

Well I normally smoke them around 250 but I was trying to get this done faster so I was smoking it around 275-285 and it reached 165 at around 1.5 hours. Kind of nice if you are in a hurry. Here is the finished shot.

I topped it with a mix if catchup and BBQ sauce the last half an hour or so. I have not tried any yet but it smells awesome. It is sitting in tinfoil right now until I finish my beer and this post. ENJOY!

Good god man your killing me. I have had my Traeger going daily for weeks. I decided to take the night off of cooking and now I'm hungry as hell and you post pics like this... I just drooled on my keyboard.
points.gif

Great looking meatloaf - Wife is away on business trip - know what tomorrow nite is gonna be

I have been toying with the idea of a "Greek" meatloaf and think I may make tonight.

Ground Pork and Turkey
Penzy's Greek seasoning
eggs
spinich
feta cheese

Rolled up kind of like a fatty to get a "pinwheel" effect

And last but not least I want to try it wrapped in Phyllo dough- I dont know if the phyllo will smoke, but we will see!

I smoked some meatloaf once and it had absolutely amazing flavor! The only thing I didnt like about it was that it was very mushy. I followed Jeffs cooking procedure except the part of putting it on an upside down muffin tin. I just set it on tin foil, oh and I didnt wrap it and put it the fridge either

Man that is a nice looking meatloaf rbranstner! I havent done a meatloaf on the smoker yet, but I think I am going to have to give this one a try soon. Nice job!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif

Yea mine was a little softer in the middle than I remember the last one being. I am going to take the temp up to around 170 next time I smoke one. This was the first time I tried putting my meatloaf in the freezer to firm it up and it worked great. I didn't even put the meatloaf on a tray or foil or anything I just put it right on the smoker grate with no problems at all. It might have been nice to have it on something when I removed it from the smoker but I just took my two hands and grabbed it quick and threw in on my tray.

Try mixing your venison 50/50 with ground pork. Mmmmm, meatloaf extraordinaire! We like to do 2#'s of venison and 2#'s of ground pork. I haven't smoked one yet, but it's next on the list for sure!

BTW, your post just made me VERY hungry. I'm going to have to imagine that my tunafish sandwich I drug to work with me today is actually a venison meatloaf sandwich. Thanks!
icon_mrgreen.gif

I haven't looked at many loaf smokes yet, and never tried it either. My wife and girls are the meat loafers in the house. I'll have to talk this over with them, 'cause something that easy to make with a touch of smoke? Oh my!

Oven roasted meatloaf is good, but I'm betting this is over the top!

As for the ingredients you listed, it sounds like a bit of a twist from what our recipe has, but that's what's makes it so great. You can put in diced bell peppers, Jalepeno, grated carrots, chopped celery...well just about anything except the kitchen sink, and it will be good. Oh, mentioned this to my wife...she says to try green onion tops, cheddar cheese, Aujus seasoning, and how could I forget this one: fresh minced garlic.

Dried bread is a favorite for natural moisture retention, btw.

Good lookin' loaf, brother!

Eric

Good Loooking Meat Loaf!! I have not done one on the smoker yet. After seeing your post I'm going to have to give one a shot.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky