Annual Mulch Day: Exhausted But Seared Some NY Strips (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Doing a bit of catching up today. So....as some of you know, we tend to spend a LOT of time working in the yard. Every year at the beginning of warm weather Tracy has a huge load of native Texas hardwood mulch delivered. We have probably 30 rock lined plant beds and landscaped beds all over the property. From right front to rear left it is probably close to a quarter mile between the beds. Needless to say, this is a long and labor intensive process over some pretty rough terrain. Last Saturday was that beloved day for me....oh joy. About half way through I got an overpowering urge for a big, hearty steak. Just needed to figure out a way to cook it, as well as some side dishes, and get the mulch done. Here we go.....

This is how my day started. Well over 20 cubic yards of mulch
002.jpg

Started at 7:00 in the morning and finished at 3:00 and were utterly exhausted but I got the steaks out
003.jpg

Seasoned up with a light coat of my homemade beef rub
004.jpg

I'm just loving this hybrid Santa Maria grill!!
005.jpg

While the charcoal is starting I crawled into the house and did a basic but tasty salad. This is another of the pseudo Caparese salads like I did with the Eggplant Napoleon
006.jpg

Talk about taking the easy sleazy way. We actually keep a stash of the Knoor sides for days just like this
007.jpg

Wanted to try something different but didn't know if it would work. Got the sear grates that came with the Rec Tec to see if they would work on the SM. Perfect fit!! Like the grill was made for them, and it was a total accident
008.jpg

Steaks on the grill
009.jpg

Too tired for a bunch of progress pics. At this point I'm wandering aimlessly around the kitchen wondering what I'm supposed to do next. I did manage to keep an eye on the steaks though. They are done
010.jpg

Plated, out to the patio, and fall down for dinner
011.jpg

Cut shot. Somehow I managed to not destroy these.
012.jpg

Close up. Perfect edge to edge pink....although I have no idea how
013.jpg

I've often wondered about the viability of using the sear grates. No more though. I was always of the impression all they did was give nice grill marks. Nope!! Using them I was able to get a really nice sear on the steaks but still maintain the beautiful edge to edge pink. I'd now say the sear grates are worth their weight in gold, especially for somebody who loves steaks as much as I do. The dressing for the salad was the same as before, just balsamic vinegar and olive oil with some Italian herbs. The pasta was surprisingly good, but most of the Knorr products we've had are good. Not homemade by any means but certainly passable when you're in a time crunch.

I'm done for the day and gonna go find my rock again to crawl back under. Y'all take care and I'll be back at some point soon I hope. There is a collage of meals sitting in a folder on my desktop that are post-worthy and might be fun...except for me blowing up the forum today :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Nice ending to a hard days work, but heck, that would be a great ending to a lazy day as well. Steak looks fantastic.

Very nice, I did similar steak this weekend will post later. As always even when you are in a rush you still pull off great meals.

The last time I did 20 yards of mulch, I had to spread it out with only a wheel barrow, would love to have that tractor. At least I got my pond opened, dirty and my $500+ pump bit it after a week, Can't really complain got 18 years out of it....pool is going to have to wait till the oak trees drop all the "hairy" things off before I open that.
IMG_3758(1).jpg

Nice steaks!

Jane and I have completely given up on mulch and we filled in the fish pond several years ago.As we've become older it just became to much work and neither one of us physically capable anymore.I miss it but I don't if that makes sense.

Reactions: BXMurphy
Wow Robert that's a fantastic looking meal. Nicely done just the way I like them.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice Steaks, Robert !! As always!
Bear Jr's Kubota is the next size down.
Handy Tool for sure!
Like.

Bear

Robert, another hard day at the office and just take out food for you I see....

Sorry that was me . Yours looks great and I also love your tractor.
Could have used that here today with another nice spring snow storm, shut down the schools etc

Like I said another great cook and on the fly with all the yard work :emoji_thumbsup:

David

Beautiful meal! I wish I could cook that well after a day of work like that! Cooked perfectly!

Nice steaks!

Jane and I have completely given up on mulch and we filled in the fish pond several years ago.As we've become older it just became to much work and neither one of us physically capable anymore.I miss it but I don't if that makes sense.
I've never liked mulch. Too messy and you still have to weed. I just go bare ground and some Preen or, better, Snapshot to relieve weed pressure. Sure, mulch looks nice but so does some nice, clean dirt or lawn growing right up to plantings. Edged for clean mowing.

Murph

Looks like a satisfying day of work and good eats! I like that combo.

Another perfectly done steak Robert, must be nice to pull that off each and every time, wish I could! We keep a load of that Knorr's stuff in the pantry, comes in real handy. RAY

Great steaks to top off a busy day. You know...I got some yard work to do this weekend if your free....LOL.

Jim

Nice ending to a hard days work, but heck, that would be a great ending to a lazy day as well. Steak looks fantastic.
Thanks so much. I have a feeling though that it's gonna be a while before I experience any of those lazy days. I will be slipping in a steak every once in while though :emoji_wink:
Perfect meal after a hard days work. Great job!
Thank you my friend. Was a nice meal albeit not in any way fancy, just tasty.
The last time I did 20 yards of mulch, I had to spread it out with only a wheel barrow, would love to have that tractor.
Up until a few years ago all I had was a push cart and a pitch fork. Spread hundreds and hundreds of yards of muclch that way. It took a LOOOOONG time for me to talk Tracy into letting me get the tractor.
pool is going to have to wait till the oak trees drop all the "hairy" things off before I open that.
Same here with the pool. We have the Live Oaks dropping their leaves and the Spanish Oaks dropping their fuzzies. I try to keep most of it out of the pool so the skimmer basket does not get clogged but keeping the pool clean is a lost cause right now.

Robert

Reactions: clifish
Nice steaks!
Thank you!!
I miss it but I don't if that makes sense.
It makes perfect sense. I absolutely hate working in the yard all the time but if it makes Tracy happy I feel compelled to help. There is a sense of pride I get from the yard looking so good though.
Wow Robert that's a fantastic looking meal. Nicely done just the way I like them.
Thanks so much Chris. I'm getting to where I just love a good sear on a steak. Used to not like it so much but I guess my tastes have changed :emoji_wink:
Nice Steaks, Robert !! As always!
Bear Jr's Kubota is the next size down.
Handy Tool for sure!
Thank you sir!! I looked at the BX-1870 but just had a feeling it'd be a bit small so went with the 2370. That tractor has been a gift from the Heavens though.

Robert

Sorry that was me . Yours looks great and I also love your tractor.
Could have used that here today with another nice spring snow storm, shut down the schools etc
Very much appreciate the kind words David. Sorry to hear about the snow in your world. It's about 100 here today :emoji_laughing: The tractor has seen snow duty a couple of times but blessedly we don't get enough to have had that play a role in the decision to buy it.
Beautiful meal! I wish I could cook that well after a day of work like that! Cooked perfectly!
Thank you Jed. If you were married to a slave driver like Tracy you'd have no choice. either cook while dead on your feet or starve to death :emoji_wink:
I've never liked mulch. Too messy and you still have to weed
Good point but we don't have to worry about that for the most part. When we got the rocks laid out for the beds in the shape we wanted, we then installed Weed Block so as not to have to worry about dealing with the weeds.

Robert

We love those knorr sides. Never a complain with any of them
We do too when time is short. The stuff is really pretty good. One or two we didn't care much for but overall they make some good stuff.
Nailed the steak. Man that looked like a lot of work!
Thanks Brian and yes, it was a lot of work. Been doing it every year for many years now though. the advent of the tractor makes it possible to handle a job like that in one day versus spread out over 2 or 3 weekends.
Looks like a satisfying day of work and good eats! I like that combo.
The only satisfying thing about the work was when the last loader bucket was dumped and spread :emoji_laughing: The nice counterpoint to the work though was a nice steak and a cold beer...or 12.

Robert

Great looking steak Robert. We had chili for the last time until next fall last night. Used ground Ribeyes so I'm gonna say I had steak last night as well lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky