Andouille test run

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

river100

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
This is my second shot at andouille after getting my Auber PID working on my MES 40.
the recipe is from a guy in Lapace, LA.
3/4” ground Boston butt minus the fat cap and bone
1.5 % salt
0.33% fine ground cayenne pepper
0.22% fine ground black pepper
0.375% fresh ground garlic
1 TBLS GARLIC = 17 GRAMS < my TBLS to gram conversion
Cure #1 0.25%
50/55 mm beef middles

I used a kidney plate for the lean and a 7mm for the fat. Probably 20% fat or less, I should have weighed it but just eyeballed it.
Casings are 35-38mm hog
After grinding and mixing I put the mixture in zip locks for 2 days to cure in the fridge.
stuffed in the morning on the day that I smoked it
smoked with pecan for a little over 7 hours to 152 deg
final smoker temp was 165 deg
Came out great although a little hot for me. I upped the cayenne to 0.35% from the 0.33% on the recipe.

Attachments

• 20230422_163909.jpg
    20230422_163909.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 32
  • andouille-April-20-2023-4_mine.jpg
    andouille-April-20-2023-4_mine.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 41
  • andouille-April-20-2023-3_mine.jpg
    andouille-April-20-2023-3_mine.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 44
  • andouille-April-20-2023-1_mine.jpg
    andouille-April-20-2023-1_mine.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Looks like a nice, simple recipe. Results look fantastic. Good job !!
Question, did you use any fine ground prok as carrier for the 3/4 grind ? Just can't quite wrap my head around getting 3/4 grind by itself to feed thru a stuffer. Never tried it. Maybe if you stuffed off the grinder head (different feed method entirely).

Looks like a nice, simple recipe. Results look fantastic. Good job !!
Question, did you use any fine ground prok as carrier for the 3/4 grind ? Just can't quite wrap my head around getting 3/4 grind by itself to feed thru a stuffer. Never tried it. Maybe if you stuffed off the grinder head (different feed method entirely).
I used a 7lb Hakka, the stuffing tube was about 3/4", the casings were a little tight on it. Just lean pork ground with a kidney plate and fat ground with a 7mm plate. This was my second batch and my second smoked sausage run altogether. Beginners luck I guess. I spent hours on this forum reading before I started this. Not to mention the dent in my bank account for the equipment LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdranchman
Those look fantastic! I've made it a few times. I use hog casings as well. I've never actually seen it with beef middles. I like the idea of keeping the recipe simple. I usually put thyme in mine but I love thyme. I just grind it all up with a 6 mm plate with the fat and pork together, but your's is a more authentic looking result. I'm too lazy to mess with the two different grinds.

Those look fantastic! I've made it a few times. I use hog casings as well. I've never actually seen it with beef middles. I like the idea of keeping the recipe simple. I usually put thyme in mine but I love thyme. I just grind it all up with a 6 mm plate with the fat and pork together, but your's is a more authentic looking result. I'm too lazy to mess with the two different grinds.
Thanks,
I did the large chunks of meat because it's what I am used to buying in Laplace. I've heard it makes a big difference in the taste and I have to agree. I do plan on doing a batch with thyme, some say that makes it a New Orleans style of andouille.

I'm going to try that next time. And the thyme thing wasn't a criticism by any stretch. I just like it. You're probably right about it being more New Orleans style. I grew up eating gumbo and I have roots in the cajun parts of Louisiana but I was born in Beaumont, Tx. So what I've seen is probably a few generations away from whatever is considered "authentic". The andouilles I've eaten usually have a texture like yours. I need to fix mine. Maybe one day I'll get a hold of some beef middles. I bet they take it out of the casing and dice it or something.

I am going to try your recipe cuz your andouille looks pretty darned good. Thanks for sharing!

I bought Bruce Aidelle's Complete Sausage Book to try his Andouille recipe. Way, way to garlicky for my liking.

Reactions: river100
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky