AMNPS 5X8 TRAY Dust vs Pellets Burn Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PAS

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
N.E. OHIO
What is the difference in length of burn time between using pellets or using dust?

I have never done a test to determine that, but it would be good to know. I just use the pellets when I want more smoke & I don’t care about the heat. And use the dust when cold smoking & the ambient temp is warm.
Al

I'm with Al on this. Never compared the burn time between them. Have recently noticed though that using alder pellets, I've gotten 3 hours for one row.

I compared them but the numbers are fuzzy. There are a TON of various factors. IE hot smoke vs cold smoke. From memory I got like 10-12hrs pellets and like 4-6 hours dust and hotter smoke temps faster burns than cold.

With zwiller

I like the dust better for cold smoking cheese. And yes you can use dust in the pellet tray.

Yes you can use dust in the AMNPS Tray.
But you shouldn't use pellets in the AMNS Dust tray.
Length of time burning for pellets is more consistent than the length of time for dust burning.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky