Mailbox mod vs. Amaze-N in smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
And elevate the pellet maze in the mailbox on a rack or feet since the X struts underneath may put it out in the middle of the middle row. You can light both ends of the maze for more smoke which I have done, but filling the the middle row and torching the middle of the middlle row till it's going well and then filling the outer rows is a new one for me I'll try.

Reactions: GatorAGR and nlife
What is the benefit of a mailbox mod to an MES40 vs. putting an Amaze-N pellet tray/tube directly inside the smoker itself? Cleaner smoke?
Airflow for an AMNPS inside an MES can be iffy but in an mailbox mod you can tweak until you get it right. (Often this is the only option that will work with an MES30).
Also you never have to open the smoker to jack around with the pellets should there be a pellet flare up. If you have mailbox mod you can handle any pellet flare ups easily without disturbing the cooking.
You never have to worry about drips or cover the the AMNPS when it's in a mailbox mod vs when it's inside the MES.
Finally, you can cold smoke better and generate less heat in the smoker from the pellets when in a mailbox mod. :D

This is called the microwave mod. Lots of them get toss to landfill sites. It allows me to still use the bisket heater for the bradley smoker and is solid. Open the door and use a Amaze-N pellet tray/tube inside elevated for air flow as mentioned.
DSC_0042.JPG
20211202_085443.jpg

Reactions: GatorAGR
This works amazingly well in the MES. Fits right in the bottom left, been doing this for years. When using dust I'll get about 5hrs out of a 6" tube and 10 out of a 12". Use the chip loader as an airflow regulator.

Attachments

• 446362-82739b1c40b60cc0804a223c214816b5.jpg
    446362-82739b1c40b60cc0804a223c214816b5.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 446363-56ac12380d6c1a13ba064aaaccf70cf7.jpg
    446363-56ac12380d6c1a13ba064aaaccf70cf7.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: chopsaw
This works amazingly well in the MES. Fits right in the bottom left, been doing this for years. When using dust I'll get about 5hrs out of a 6" tube and 10 out of a 12". Use the chip loader as an airflow regulator.
This is exactly what I did on my first cook the other day as I didn't want to go full mailbox mod. That's what led to my initial question. Only thing I could think of was what was discussed above. Cleaner smoke, easier to handle pellets without opening cooker, etc.

Reactions: normanaj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky