Stickburner to pellet conversions now available.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Saw a Youtube video which shows a device (kit, really) that attaches to the side of a stick burner firebox that adds an auger and burn pot attachment, plus a pellet chamber, controller and fan.
A three or four inch hole in the side of the firebox is required where the burn pot/auger tube attaches but it looked like the stickburning function would not be altered much if at all.
Did not catch the price or the name of the outfit but Youtube is easy to search, so if interested take a look.
The early reports on the flavor profile of pecan shell pellets seems to be postitve (hardwood vs pellets) so this may be a way to use both methods in one cooker.

By the time you get done, you probably could have just bought a stand alone pellet grill to complement your stick burner and left it alone for its intended purpose.

I usually find that most dual purpose items where they try to combine 2 into one really does neither overly well.

Reactions: culpepersmoke
I've got pellet spitter and while it works great and lets me sleep at night on long low cooks, the smoke flavor profile is miserable.
The game changer is the invention of pecan shell pellets which are reported to greatly increase/improve same.
I'm greatly attracted to the set and forget aspect of cooking and that combined with resolving the pellet burner hot spot has me thinking about it.
The rig shown in the Youtube video was seemingly very robust and well engineered.
Not sure on cost so that could be a deal breaker, for me anyway.

I've got no issue with pellet grills. I just think trying to convert an offset to one is maybe not the greatest idea. Some companies do have purpose built hybrids that are probably good. If I had a Old Country Pecos or Wrangler I might consider it, but anything above that I think you are ruining the smoker.

I've got no issue with pellet grills. I just think trying to convert an offset to one is maybe not the greatest idea. Some companies do have purpose built hybrids that are probably good. If I had a Old Country Pecos or Wrangler I might consider it, but anything above that I think you are ruining the smoker.
Check out the video, I don't think anything gets ruined.
Stickburning is still viable with the burn pot conversion in place.
Heck, it may be that the hot setup is both at once!

I don't see any benefit to mounting it to the firebox. It would probably be more efficient to mount the pot directly under the cook chamber.

[EDIT] I see in another video he actually burns wood splits over the pot.

Last edited:
Other than smoke profile in the meat, my issue with pellet spitters is the severe hot spot right over the burn pot (at least MINE has this problem).
Having the burn pot removed from the cook chamber is a major improvement IMHO.

IF I did not already have a reliable pellet burner and IF I had an Old Country rig, I would be all over that conversion.

Candy, from BBQer's Delight had Jambo build her a pellet fired Jambo. It fit on the end door and the door was replaceable so you could burn pellets or sticks.
A year or two ago I saw she had it for sale.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky