Binder question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokngun

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
NOCO
Is there a difference between non fat milk powder from the grocery store vs from a sausage supplier, such as PS Seasonings or The Sausage Maker?

Is there a difference between non fat milk powder from the grocery store vs from a sausage supplier, such as PS Seasonings or The Sausage Maker?
Short answer is yes, there is a difference. The difference is high heat vs. non high heat. The sausage supply will sell you high heat NFDM, the grocery will have non high heat NFDM. However, in application the both work fine in sausage. You will have success with either. I don’t use NFDM often as a binder because I much prefer potato starch, but that said, when I do use NFDM in some German recipes, it’s always store bought.

Yes. The NFDM sold for making sausage is high temp. What you buy in the store isn't. If you want a binder you can buy in the store, look for potato starch in a store that sells Bob's Redmill products.

Thanks for the replies. I currently have soy protein but most of the recipes I keep seeing most are using NFMP. I like the potato starch to avoid the different food allergy issues possibilities. Is potato starch used in the same ratios as other binders?

Thanks for the replies. I currently have soy protein but most of the recipes I keep seeing most are using NFMP. I like the potato starch to avoid the different food allergy issues possibilities.
Potato starch will make a gel , NFDM will not. So think texture in sausage.

Reactions: smokngun
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky