Alright, you shamed me into it....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
Geeze, smoken cheese.
OK, so we had this block of Tillamook Cheese the wife got for me to shred some up, small block some up, and of course if you ask me to cut the cheese, there is a toll on the act.
So I got the ends of the block (my choice), and I cubed up one of them for bite size smoked chunks.
And we have some boxes of Philly Cream Cheese that are just bugging the peedoodly out of her because they are here. So I'm cold smoking it as well as some Cheddar.
And awaaaaayyy we gooo.......

Cheese Whizz.jpg

Looks good Sonny. Never thought of smoking straight cream cheese - sounds good. Let us know how it turns out. Is that a ghost looking into the window of the smoker??:emoji_laughing::emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: SonnyE
Looks great man. Let me know how those small blocks turn out. I bought a 5 pound bag of them on clearance and vac sealed it waiting for my next cheese smoke. They are smaller than that though trying to think the best way to do it. Maybe a couple foil pans with holes poked in it?

Looks good Sonny. Never thought of smoking straight cream cheese - sounds good. Let us know how it turns out. Is that a ghost looking into the window of the smoker??:emoji_laughing::emoji_sunglasses:
That's the ghost of Bar-B-Ques Past, aka: Grumpy, Dirty Old Man, and the names go downhill from there...

SonnyE,

Smoked cream cheese!!!! I need to do this for the Cheese Ball we make at Christmas!!

I saw it here on SMF. And what could possibly be better than Smoked Salmon Dip/Spread, unless you use Smoked Cream Cheese? :emoji_smiling_imp:

Looks great man. Let me know how those small blocks turn out. I bought a 5 pound bag of them on clearance and vac sealed it waiting for my next cheese smoke. They are smaller than that though trying to think the best way to do it. Maybe a couple foil pans with holes poked in it?

My thought on the bite-sized blocks is samples as it goes along. Taste a mini cube and remove when the profile tastes close.
And just between you and me, I filled up my little curing fridge with a 30 pack yesterday, and have two slabs of smoked belly aging in it, so some smoked cheese mellowing out in there today and tonight will help scent the 12 ounce mini-kegs.
The only thing better than a cold beer, is a cold beer with a bacon scented can. :emoji_wink::emoji_sunglasses:

Oh and, I use my little mats all the time. Love those things! Got them off Ebray for the MES 30, trimmed to fit. So they are a smidgen small in the MES 40, but still work great.
I also use them when I feel like smokin my nuts. :emoji_grimacing:

Last edited:
A rare glimpse at a wild SonnyE in his natural enviroment..

I bet that cream cheese will be great in dishes like pepper and cheese stuffed chicken breasts on the grill!

A rare glimpse at a wild SonnyE in his natural enviroment..

I bet that cream cheese will be great in dishes like pepper and cheese stuffed chicken breasts on the grill!

I think it will be fun trying it. Someone here on SMF planted the seed.
My wife, who thinks things must be discarded at the Sell By Date is fussing about my refrigerator stores.

Oh wait Sonny you live in one of them coastal states..gonna have to do some smoked salmon or what not ..and use the smoked cream cheese to make a dip/spread

And awaaaaayyy we gooo.......

Sonny you should have gone to the store and bought some Gouda to go with that pile of cheese. Then it would have been awaaaaaayyyy we Gouda.....

Nice looking start waiting for the finish.

Point for sure.
Chris.

Also, I really don't think you can be shamed into anything. Your to set in your ways.

Cream cheese is my favorite smoked cheese. It is the first priority when temps get low enough to load the smoker.

It surprised me, the first time I smoked it, but the cream cheese is less prone to melting than some of the harder cheeses. Now butter is a different story.

Here is a shot of a combo smoke I did recently. Some cream cheese, cured Salmon, Gouda, and butter.

7eMKzbl.jpg

Sounds like you better get busy and make some room in that little curing fridge.
Oh, there's room. 22 on the top shelf, 2 high X 2 deep, and 8 on the door rack. Perfect.
But when I get a 36 keg box, well some of them have to be stored differently.

Sonny you should have gone to the store and bought some Gouda to go with that pile of cheese. Then it would have been awaaaaaayyyy we Gouda.....
Nice looking start waiting for the finish.
Point for sure.
Chris.
Also, I really don't think you can be shamed into anything. Your to set in your ways.

Awaaay we Gouda. :emoji_laughing:
Yep, I'm shameless.

Looking good Sonny. I. Really like the idea of those bitesized snackers. Be a whole lot handier to just grab a few out of the fridge rather than cutting a couple of slices.
POINT
Gary

It was just one of those "What if...." brain farts. Little smokie nibblers. So I cut a couple of the chunk pieces into the cubes.

I never thought of doing cubes. Do share how those turn out at different time intervals.

I kept sampling at hour intervals. Cold smoking, that take on the flavor very slowly, and didn't darken much.
But the flavor is there. Now they have to mellow a bit, so they are bagged and setting at room temp overnight.

Cream cheese is my favorite smoked cheese. It is the first priority when temps get low enough to load the smoker.
It surprised me, the first time I smoked it, but the cream cheese is less prone to melting than some of the harder cheeses. Now butter is a different story.
Here is a shot of a combo smoke I did recently. Some cream cheese, cured Salmon, Gouda, and butter.

Looks good to me fivetricks. First time I've ever tried Cream Cheese, but hey, it's a cheese.

Is that an ice rink I see in the reflection?
I use these from Cabela's

:emoji_laughing: Almost Preacher Man! Typical Southern California backyard. I use it as a finger bowl sometimes when BBQ'ing. :emoji_rolling_eyes:
Your Cabela's mats look nice, finished edges. I bought the one's I did so I could trim them to fit my MES 30, And because they are 1/4" mesh. Just happened they were black in color. So they look clean before, and after, a smoke. :emoji_wink: I just trimmed 1 1/4" off the long end and they go wall to wall in the 30.

Here's the finished load after 6 hours:
Barely any color change, big flavor change. I'm liking this Mailbox thing all the time. And Dave's Sawdust. :emoji_wink:

Smoked Cubes.jpg
Smoked End Block.jpg
Smoked Cream Cheese 6 hour.jpg

The yellow cheese is mellowing in bags overnight, but the cream cheese is mellowing open in the fridge.
The color change on all seems very slight to me, but the taste is definitely there. The Son said it is definitely smokey tasting.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Sounds like you better get busy and make some room in that little curing fridge.

It has plenty of room. The mini kegs add thermal balance.
So I feel obligated to maintain a balance in it with Bacon, Beer, Cheese, and Al's Pickles.
You know, the staples of any good Bar-B-Que area. :emoji_wink::emoji_sunglasses:

Gosh Sonny!
I never thought of smoking little cubes of cheese!
What a great idea!
Next cheese run I do will include cubes!
Thanks!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky