Along the lines of the best western thread. What's your 3 favorite military movies?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Can't believe Tora Tora Tora only got one vote. Dirty Dozen's another I can watch over and over, and while not full of military action, I liked "Mrs. Miniver" with Greer Garson. Good portrayal of life in Britain at the beginning of World War II.

Reactions: negolien
Really tough:
Patton
Gods and Generals/Gettysburg - 2 parts of the same imo…
Full Metal Jacket

Patton/ FMJ always rewatchable, GnG /Geettysberg- remarkable period pieces

Lots of good ones listed. I don't think I have any real favorites. One of my first thoughts was First Blood, (Rambo 1 already mentioned and imo it totally counts) then Good Morning Vietnam and Red October. None of them are military like say a Patton or a Full Metal Jacket but they all are really military based.

The Postman is a (dam good) military movie - change my mind!

I watched "All Quiet on the Western Front" on Netflix the other day. WW1 movie. Was brutal depiction of trench warfare. Great movie and worth the watch

Man so many great ones to choose from.

Movies:
  1. Saving Private Ryan
  2. Blackhawk Down
  3. Full Metal Jacket or Platoon, both are great in very different ways

Shows/Series:
  1. Band of Brothers
  2. Generation Kill
  3. The Vietnam War (Documentary series by Ken Burns)
    • Was very very very educational and seemed to be told from a very objective perspective with all the info on hand over 40yrs after the war. I was born some years after it ended and the war was never taught as a subject of history in school or college, so this was more content than I had ever been presented with outside of box office movies and tv series.
      It's covers all sides of the war from the battles on the field, mostly from the US side but with good historical insight into the VC side, and also covers both US political and geo-political happenings affecting the pre, intro, middle engagement, exit, and post periods of the war.

It's not for the faint of heart to watch and makes you appreciate our good soldiers and their commitments. The show brings more understanding to why we need to our support veterans in every aspect of life and educate us fortunate folks who are not directly affected or participating in war and how all around terrible it is for those involved and affected by it.
      It does not shy away one bit from the horrors of war and I think the show may be the best documentation of war I can imagine. I have never participated or experienced war first hand so I'll leave it up to those who have, to determine if this series covers it well enough.

Just thought of another couple that I didn't see here, Gallipoli and The Great Escape.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky