All-in-one OR separate?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grill_student

Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
I'm putting the finishing touches on purchasing cookware for my niece and I was thinking about getting her grilling equipment.

My question is do you feel that it is better to get separate products for smoking, grilling, and doing other things or is it better to get a product that can do them all very well?

I try to only buy made in USA products and I've recently found out that Weber isn't made in the USA any longer. That was my first instinct until I did more research. I was thinking about this.

If all-in-one option is best then:
1. Primo Oval
^ although I'm not sure which model is best..?

If separate models for different things then:
2. get the smallest Hasty-Bake or Original PK AND the smallest primo oval for smoking

3. alternative:
I read another thread here where a poster commented that Weber is an exception to the USA made search because although they are made in China, their customer service is outstanding so they are still worth supporting.
^ I've read that Primo Oval customer service is supposedly very good too though..

Thoughts on everything above?

Reactions: SonnyE
I'm of the separate camp. Here's why:
I like to do cold smoking, on up to BBQing.
Nothing (IMHO) does everything. So I have my highly modified MES for my smoking from ambient (cold) up to it's 275° high limit.
For BBQing, I use a gas grill and do things like Baby Back Ribs, hamburgers/hot dogs, etc.
I also have a small charcoal grill if something cooked that way strikes my fancy.

I would propose this, you have a variety of pots and pans. Because one doesn't really do everything, right?
You have different burners on your stove, and an oven.
You have a variety of utensils, various knives, etc.
And various dishes.
Why would you think a single piece of equipment would do everything for the outdoors?

I think it admirable what you want to do for her. But she will likely need more than one form of BBQ equipment.

OXO GOOD GRIPS makes some of the best cooking utensils that are highly regarded.
A set of thermometers would be cool. Timer and tongs. Maybe a spider and some good oven mits. Younger girls don't spend much time grilling or smoking. I would stick to kitchen stuff. Nice storage containers and cast iron pan or Dutch oven.

SonnyE SonnyE - Thank you for the comment.

My niece will live in a very small studio probably under 200 sq ft (this is Hawai'i after all). Are there any grills you recommend particularly? From your post, would you recommend perhaps a small Weber Smokey Joe and a smokey mountain?

I would still like to get her something that comfortably reaches the higher temps such 700-800 degrees like the ceramic burners but all of them are very heavy and seem unsuitable for studio dwellers.

@Rings Я Us - You read my mind. What equipment is essential was the next thread I was going to post. I am going to still post it if that's ok because I know that is an entirely different subject. Also, I wanted to share some USA-made products that I have researched and see how you all feel about them.

If she likes charcoal cooked food then a Weber Kettle would be my choice. You can use it for grilling and smoking.

Chris

Humm, the plot thickens!
OK, Hawaii. This is why folks like it when you fill in where you are, or at least what state you are in.
I'm in the State of Denial. :confused:

First would be to find out if she even can do BBQing on her balcony area...
Then if she can, sort from there.
You have a temperature goal. So that lets out most electric smokers.
Propane may be very expensive in the Islands, or non-existent.
So maybe you will need to see what the big box stores sell over there?
You may be looking at Charcoal, or maybe a pellet burner. But the humidity might be a problem for storing pellets.

But find out IF she can BBQ where she lives, before spending a bunch of buck$.
Often in Condoland/Apartmentland, there is a common area with BBQ's for the residents.

When my little Sister was getting married, we were looking for a wedding gift.
We wound up in an isle where all the kitchen essentials were. I grabbed the biggest spaghetti pot and started filling it full of kitchen utensils, and anything practical for a new kitchen. Think Steamer for rice and fishes...
It was the most appreciated wedding gift they got. ;) Who'da thunk it? :rolleyes:

She does not have a balcony and there is no BBQ area for residents. We do have propane here but yes, it is pricey.

What she will do is take the grill to the beach and grill there. She can also take the grill on base and use the picnic area there as well. They do have public grills on base but she doesn't like public grill because she is uncertain how clean they are.

Yes, it will be charcoal and for the temperature requirement, I was just trying to cover all my bases. The two Webers I mentioned would cover grilling and smoking but I wasn't sure what would cover cooking foods that require a much higher temperature such as pizza, Indian food (tandoori, naan), bread, etc. The ceramic grills don't seem practical for easy transport so I'm not sure what to use.

Sounds like this is something that she asked for which is important. Portability is a big deal here. Something akin to a Weber Smokey Joe would be ideal. I’d go with the Weber but if you have to have US made then I’m guessing the choices are pretty limited. Smoking is a whole different matter on something portable. The cooking space would be terribly limited. I don’t really have any advice on that part. Good luck.

George

The Smokey Joe is the mini Webber kettle. It’s pretty much table top sized. My guess is that you would be able to grill super hot right over the coals but there wouldn’t be much room to try an offset method. The Weber Smokey Mountain is the two level vertical smoker. That thing is ideal for your smoking needs but I am pretty sure that they offshored the production on that quite a while back. From all accounts it is top of the line in its class and design.

George

OK. It has to be easily transportable.
Lots of options available.
Hows this for simple? <Click Here<
Take a charcoal starter, lay a grill over it, and you have a blast furnace cooker.
And... when the foods ready, dump the coals for a beachy campfire.
And your charcoal starter can be used with a Wok.
Super simple, super portable, super tasty!
Even along the Wahiawä Highway enjoying the views...

First of all.. Can you be my Uncle?? A Primo and a Pk.. I’m in the separate camp.. one for grilling one for smoking.
But the primo can do both.. just buy two large Primos. One for your niece and one for me !! Thanks Unc

SonnyE SonnyE - Interesting idea but I don't think she would go for that unfortunately. It's ok though, I've made a little change and settled on the Smokey Jumbo and Smokey Mountain as I mentioned above.

lemans lemans - I'm not sure if you saw above, but I've decided against the Primo. After further research, I realized that at 250 lbs, it is far too heavy to be frequently moved. The largest Smokey Mountain is barely over 50 lbs so moving it even daily is not a problem.

I was reading back through this and it came to me (like a brick).
200 Sq Ft apartment....
My 20' X 20' garage is 400 sq ft!
Dad Gum! She needs a bigger place Unk!

My danged RV is 48 Sq. Ft. bigger....

SonnyE SonnyE - Yes, unfortunately that is living in Hawai'i but that is an entirely separate thread for a different forum. We have to make do with what is available to us.

I'm sure my reasoning is going to be a bit unpopular but here it is. At 200 sq.ft. Space is a premium. Take away from that, space for even a twin bed, counter space, closet, a table maybe a chair ect and I'm afraid she will barely have room to store a bag of charcoal, let alone the grill to use it in.
Secondly, having to go off site to use it will quickly turn into a PITA. I seriously doubt she will want to go off-site set it up and babysit it for even a relatively short cook of 4 hrs. She would need to stay right there with it the whole time or it might not be there when she comes back, be it due to theivery or the local gestapo takeing issue with the fire hazard of an unattended grill.
I think the closest thing to a solution will be a Habachi or Smokey Joe that can be slid under a bed or left in the trunk of the car when cooled and be happy with burgers, dogs and brats until more spacious accomodations are available.

SonnyE SonnyE - Yes, unfortunately that is living in Hawai'i but that is an entirely separate thread for a different forum. We have to make do with what is available to us.

Just sayin....
I have a Sister and BIL who own a condo on Maui. They retired there, but came home to Grants Pass, Orygone after several years. Their condo is rented out.
And my wife has two Uncles and Families on Oahu.
My first time to Hawaii, I stepped off the plane into her warm embrace. I wanted to stay immediately.
But halfway to the terminal I realized I'd be a part of the problem. So I decided to visit, enjoy, and bask in all that is Hawaii, doing touristy stuff, but also being shown around by Family.
So my way to be the least impact is to visit and come home to the Mainland.
My Mom and Dad served at the Pearl Harbor Navy Base during the big one. And my eldest Sister was born there.
Lots of roots in Hawaii.
I'm sure you will find Paradise there... ;):D:)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky