Afterlife

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but if you repent your sins. There shouldn't be a need for hell.

Chris
Everyone repents their sins when they get to the edge of the abyss.

It seems impossible that all the matter in the Universe, all the quantum physics, and eventually life itself, just popped into existence one day, from absolutely nothing, in the middle of a void that did not previously exist, just because it wanted to.

But it also seems to be impossible that there is a God that could just sit back while so many human hearts are torn to shreds, and condemn people to eternal damnation because they did not conform to a dogma that cannot be proven, because some other imperfect, often hypocritical, human, insists that they are right about what to believe.

It is an enigma that we can never solve.

Jesus said (if you believe that what is written in the New Testament, is, in fact, the words of Jesus): "Feed the hungry, help the poor, and protect the weak."

How many people do you know that actually do that?

Last edited:
Reactions: halleoneagain
I kinda think, maybe you get a do over, until you get it right. Then you go to heaven.
Al
I used to have the same type of thoughts Al. Except you started out as the simplest of organisms and then if you succeed you move up to the next organism. If you failed you repeated, until you got it right. Heaven was the final destination, and what we're living in now is considered hell.

Or we could just be some other universes experiment gone awry. There are many accomplishments in the past that can't be explained given the knowledge of the time.

Chris

Man I hope I don't come back as a mosquito.

Reactions: sawhorseray
We are all alive forever It just depends where you want to spend eternity. Everyone will spend it in Heaven or hell. I’m a Christian who believes the Bible and that if we live for God and repent of our sins we will spend eternity in Heaven with Jesus Christ. If we live for ourselves on this earth we will spend eternity in a literal burning Hell without Christ that is what makes it hell is that Christ won’t be there. No one has to wonder what happens after we die because God has told us in his word we just have to accept it. We never evolved from anything else. We were created as humans in the image of God. We did not just come from thin air or we didn’t evolve from pond scum.

Reactions: weedeater
........ Newtonian world.
I Just have to add this perspective...... Blood is a Non Newtonian Fluid..... and there isn't a set of mathematical equations that fit how it acts........ At least it makes you think.....

I Just have to add this perspective...... Blood is a Non Newtonian Fluid..... and there isn't a set of mathematical equations that fit how it acts........ At least it makes you think.....
It's way above my mathematical level. So I looked it up, and yes you can calculate Non Newtonian Fluid. Since I'm still struggling with my Gazintas I'll pass.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: civilsmoker
Dr. Raymond Moody, PhD, a surgeon, conducted a study of patient experiences who died on the operating table and were resuscitated. His first book, Life After Death, was an eye opener for me because I knew I had experienced MUCH more than I could remember. It felt like those experiences were blocked from my memories. All I could remember were the three things I already mentioned.

As I read that book following my crash, I screamed aloud several times, "That happened to me!" It was like fragments of my experience broke through the block. I've never had that kind of reaction to any of the thousands of books I've read.

Two things stuck with me from his book. First, the only sin is to take your life or someone else's. Second, the patients reported a constant question during their life review. The question was "What did you learn?"

Personally, I don't remember either, including the life review, but I had a life review experience while alive in recovery. A retired USMC Gunny Sgt was assigned as my recovery counselor for a 6-week program. I wanted out. He wanted me to stay. He and I ended up in a nose to nose screaming match in his office. In an instant, the room disappeared and I saw every single instance of my life in perfect clarity as to why I needed to stay. It literally happened in the snap of a finger.

The Gunny looked at me and asked, "WTF just happened?" I answered, "I don't know, but I'm staying."

So, I share all this not to change anyone's mind or beliefs. I can absolutely accept that my experience could have been due to oxygen starvation of my brain. And I know that Raymond Moody went off the deep end of beliefs and kinda developed a cult-like following that did NOT include me.

It's just my experience on topic. Nothing more.

I have to say that I am also a believer. It's pretty easy for me to believe, I just look around and can see it. I can't say for sure what happens when we die where we go or if we come back as someone or something else who knows, but I know there is a God and he sent his son to die for us.

Dr. Raymond Moody, PhD, a surgeon, conducted a study of patient experiences who died on the operating table and were resuscitated. His first book, Life After Death, was an eye opener for me because I knew I had experienced MUCH more than I could remember. It felt like those experiences were blocked from my memories. All I could remember were the three things I already mentioned.

As I read that book following my crash, I screamed aloud several times, "That happened to me!" It was like fragments of my experience broke through the block. I've never had that kind of reaction to any of the thousands of books I've read.

Two things stuck with me from his book. First, the only sin is to take your life or someone else's. Second, the patients reported a constant question during their life review. The question was "What did you learn?"

Personally, I don't remember either, including the life review, but I had a life review experience while alive in recovery. A retired USMC Gunny Sgt was assigned as my recovery counselor for a 6-week program. I wanted out. He wanted me to stay. He and I ended up in a nose to nose screaming match in his office. In an instant, the room disappeared and I saw every single instance of my life in perfect clarity as to why I needed to stay. It literally happened in the snap of a finger.

The Gunny looked at me and asked, "WTF just happened?" I answered, "I don't know, but I'm staying."

So, I share all this not to change anyone's mind or beliefs. I can absolutely accept that my experience could have been due to oxygen starvation of my brain. And I know that Raymond Moody went off the deep end of beliefs and kinda developed a cult-like following that did NOT include me.

It's just my experience on topic. Nothing more.
That's one freaky experience. It's amazing how powerful our minds really are.

Chris

Reactions: noboundaries
Thank you everyone for keeping this civil. I believe we all have to decide what we believe and what makes us happy. I look at faith like Love. You can't see love. You're not handed a piece of paper that says you now love this person or that person. When your child is born you aren't handed something that makes you love them. Love is a feeling you have that can't be described.

I believe faith is the same way. If you don't have it then that is your choice. If you are a Christian then you know its a choice to come to Christ. Its a choice to live that life style.

Either way I think that while your on earth that you need to live you life to the fullest doing the best you can while enjoying the gifts that you have.

It's way above my mathematical level. So I looked it up, and yes you can calculate Non Newtonian Fluid. Since I'm still struggling with my Gazintas I'll pass.

Chris
Well maybe I should say there isn't a broad "law" like newton's law for how it works with the exception of Poiseuile's Law (from 1846), which is limited in its scope and there wasn't much more or at least there wasn't when I was in the big school. I worked on a project called "Hearts in Space" were we put an artificial heart and a circulatory system on the space shuttle to try to get some measure and definition on how blood works in zero G.... The heart "can" we build did go into space, but I was since graduated at the time, but the team also made a full-scale body structure and do zero G flight curves (I almost got to go, but got pulled off at the last min cause I didn't have existing security clearance for the military flight) to get initial values to predict blood behavior in zero G to test the long-term shuttle values.... My task was to design the "body structure" for the flights and for the space shuttle can..... IE things for the space shuttle had to be designed for 9 times normal gravity and a crazy vibration frequency for the launch....... Maybe this will be a good side story for the thread.......

https://www.deseret.com/1997/7/29/19326154/u-heart-to-fly-aboard-shuttle
I'm not the grad student but I did the design for the aluminum structure. Ie if you read the article the heart shrinks very quickly and they don't know why...... it's a mystery....

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
I believe in Intelligent design. Or creation. It’s just not difficult for me to believe that something much bigger than all of us is actually in control. This world is just way to complicated and detailed and with laws or rules of things like physics. No way all of this world “just happened “ This was all designed and it all has order. Even the very documents that created the United States, our Constitution was written based on the belief of the “Natural God” or the “God of creation “ our founding fathers believed that we all have natural rights. Given to us by our creator. The Constitution acknowledges this and then places limits on the structure and reach of government to the people. In our Constitution we the people were granted no rights from the government, the rights that were acknowledged were “God given” you are born with those rights. The inner purpose of our founding documents was to acknowledge God given rights to the people and to limit the power and reach of the Federal government to infringe on those given rights.

In the founding of this nation, they understood and acknowledged our Creator. They tried to secure that natural law that is way bigger than anything man can do. This was accepted thought by most of mankind until Darwin.

Yep hard to overlook perfection. No coincidence that everything is so deeply detailed to do exactly what it's supposed to do all the way from the universe to earth to our bodies. Even if I was on the fence about how I felt, and I have been on the fence. When you open your eyes and your heart you can't unsee TRUTH. i struggled with faith during and after Iraq. The age old question.......why does God allow bad things to happen to good people.......turns out it's not about us. Had sin not entered the picture it wouldn't even be an issue. But sin happened and here we are. I no longer look at things in that light. How can we bring glory to God and love Him more through tough times is what it's all about. Doesn't make everything sad thing in our lives immediately better but gives us hope for the future. Whether it be here or in Heaven

Yes, I guess that was my thought. I’m no Hematologists, but blood is a perfect example of how we think things work a certain way, according to newtonian physics, but there is something else there. Ironically, when I was questioning, it was books on quantum physics and astrophysics that brought me back to faith in God and belief in the afterlife.

I agree Jake.
Im a farm kid, an outdoorsman and general nature goer. I hate being inside other than when it’s horrible outside, although when I was younger that’s exactly when I would go out and fur hunt, still do just not as much, arthritis or something.

If you spend time in nature, you quickly understand that the ecosystem, the animals land , flora and fauna have no problems behaving and doing what is right. Cows don’t try to breed horses, rabbits don’t try to become dogs. They all stay in their lane. It’s man who comes up with impossible desires. That is why we need God and his order. science can only progress by following the physical rules, man likewise can only progress by following the same natural order. All established by a higher order,,, The Creator. History bears all this out. Man has always understood until the 20th century or so. It’s crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky