After taste

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MNBrownie

Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
Cyrus, MN
I get a very smoky almost bitter taste to my meat after smoking with both of my electric smokers. Two batches of beef jerky on my Smokehouse Big Chief and a pork loin on my Masterbuilt.

I'm sure the MES gurus will be by eventually with better info but your problem typically arises from low air flow and/or thick smoke. You do not want billowy white smoke, you want TBS (Thin Blue Smoke). White smoke has more incomplete combustion products leading to bitterness and is usually caused by lack or air to your wood. You also want your top vent(s) open, don't let the smoke build up inside, keep it flowing, smoke buildup can lead to creosote formation - also nasty. Also, what are you using to generate the smoke - chips, pellets, dust, chunks?

^^^^^what he said...

Bitter taste comes from the creosote in thick smoke. Thin blue almost invisible smoke is what you want. Going from least to most creosote the order is thin blue smoke < soft white smoke < thick white smoke < yellow smoke < black smoke...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky