Advice Smoking a Tri Tip like a brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rileybowler

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2015
I put the tri tip in and had the temperature set at 225 and smoked until internal temp was 165 degrees pulled and wrapped in butchers paper and have had it going for another hour and the internal temp has actually dropped to 158 degrees . I was wondering if these tri tip roast have a stall period because the smoker is holding the correct temperature, I even bumped it up to 250 degrees. Would appreciate any help, thanks in advance. When I put this tri tip back in when wrapping after hitting 165 degrees it took 2 more hours for it to come back to 165 degrees and 4 more hours to hit 196 degrees and I increased the temperature 3 different times. This is a new grill and I do not know if the controls have to teach itself and perhaps that is why.

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
You are fine. It's normal for the temp to drop a few degrees during the wrap. Also you likely put the probe in a different spot after you wrapped. Hence a slightly different temp. Carry on and post up some pics!

I put the tri tip in and had the temperature set at 225 and smoked until internal temp was 165 degrees pulled and wrapped in butchers paper and have had it going for another hour and the internal temp has actually dropped to 158 degrees . I was wondering if these tri tip roast have a stall period because the smoker is holding the correct temperature, I even bumped it up to 250 degrees. Would appreciate any help, thanks in advance
I typically smoke my Tri-Tips 275 275 to 125-130 IT and enjoy medium rare. The cut is more tender than and Brisket, so it does not require the slow low cook IMHO.

Smoke ON!
- Jason

Reactions: Marknmd
I put the tri tip in and had the temperature set at 225 and smoked until internal temp was 165 degrees pulled and wrapped in butchers paper and have had it going for another hour and the internal temp has actually dropped to 158 degrees . I was wondering if these tri tip roast have a stall period because the smoker is holding the correct temperature, I even bumped it up to 250 degrees. Would appreciate any help, thanks in advance

What are you using to smoke your Tri-Tip Trisket on? Type of grill, pellet, propane or hardwood/charcoal smoker? Did you use any injections? Are you using a Tri-Tip rub or a brisket rub? Was there visible fat grains within the Tri Tip? That fat grain will render during the cook and the temperature used will help it render and make the Trisket extra tender and juicy. Tri Tips will stall, but not like an actual brisket. If you’re not using a pellet grill, then I would bump the temp up to 275* degrees and monitor the IT temp until it reaches 160*-165* degrees and then wrap it with some beef Au Jus or beef broth. Butchers BBQ has some nice beef brisket mop sauce that’s great on the beef trisket as well. Continue cooking until the IT reaches 200* degrees, then do a prob check for tenderness. Once prob tender, pull it from your smoker and let it rest for 30 minutes or so. Once ready to serve, slice against the grain and dip the sliced Triskets in the Au Jus from the wrap… Then sit back and enjoy.

Reactions: 912smoker
What are you using to smoke your Tri-Tip Trisket on? Type of grill, pellet, propane or hardwood/charcoal smoker? Did you use any injections? Are you using a Tri-Tip rub or a brisket rub? Was there visible fat grains within the Tri Tip? That fat grain will render during the cook and the temperature used will help it render and make the Trisket extra tender and juicy. Tri Tips will stall, but not like an actual brisket. If you’re not using a pellet grill, then I would bump the temp up to 275* degrees and monitor the IT temp until it reaches 160*-165* degrees and then wrap it with some beef Au Jus or beef broth. Butchers BBQ has some nice beef brisket mop sauce that’s great on the beef trisket as well. Continue cooking until the IT reaches 200* degrees, then do a prob check for tenderness. Once prob tender, pull it from your smoker and let it rest for 30 minutes or so. Once ready to serve, slice against the grain and dip the sliced Triskets in the Au Jus from the wrap… Then sit back and enjoy.

I am using a Nexgrill Oakford1000 pellet grill and it is brand new so perhaps the electronics are calibrating I don't know if that was the problem or not.

It’s possible your pellet grill is still learning, but usually that’s for new controllers to learn how to settle in on a stable set temp. I would install a lid thermometer or use a wireless Bluetooth thermometer to get an independent reading of your grills temp just to be on the safe side. I just did a Trisket today and mines stalled at 150* IT… My CG 980 was set at 275* degrees during the stall. To push things along, I bumped the temp up to 325* and just kept it there for the duration of the cook. .02
Your Trisket looks like it came out pretty good. Remember to use the saved Au Jus from the wrapping and use it to keep the sliced triskets tender and juicy.

That looks delicious, but agree that the internal temp is way too high.

At the risk of making you want more kitchen equipment, here's my tri-tip routine: sous vide to 129-130 degrees F and hold for a few hours, shock in a ice bath (while still in the vac seal) to cool completely, then take it out of the vac seal and pat dry (and rub if you want) and put it in the smoker for a couple of hours to finish.

This one I finished on the grill after smoking.

tritip2.jpg

Reactions: TH-n-PA
That looks delicious, but agree that the internal temp is way too high.

At the risk of making you want more kitchen equipment, here's my tri-tip routine: sous vide to 129-130 degrees F and hold for a few hours, shock in a ice bath (while still in the vac seal) to cool completely, then take it out of the vac seal and pat dry (and rub if you want) and put it in the smoker for a couple of hours to finish.

This one I finished on the grill after smoking.

View attachment 642347
That looks great, what temp did you smoke it at? What temp was the TT when removed from the smoker?

Thanks! The smoker was at 225 degrees F. I didn't actually probe it for final temp, just let it smoke for 2 hours so I knew it was warmed through (I had left it chilling in an ice bath for a good 30 mins, it was very cold to the touch when I started). I had the grill going for other stuff, so seared it for 30 secs/side at the end and served.

Reactions: clifish
Making my brisket for tacos,in my z grill typhoon 7002. Been on since 10am at 225 last picture is now 177. Looking tasty and my neighbors hate me lol.

Attachments

• 20220909_110046.jpg
    20220909_110046.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220909_142447.jpg
    20220909_142447.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220909_161504.jpg
    20220909_161504.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220909_161508.jpg
    20220909_161508.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 19
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky