Advice needed for grinding venison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wnctracker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Western North Carolina
Ground my first ever batch of venison hamburger. I double ground at 85/15 with medium plate. Should it have been fine grind? The burgers pattied real loose and fell apart in the grill despite the 85:15 ratio. Any idea why?

Last edited:
We use the course plate ( 1/4" ) then a medium plate.  ( 3/16" )  

I think c farmer has the right idea. Sausage binds best with two grindings so it would benefit ground venison as well while maintaining a little coarser texture.

Ground my first ever batch of venison hamburger. I double ground at 85/15 with medium plate. Should it have been fine grind? The burgers pattied real loose and fell apart in the grill despite the 85:15 ratio. Any idea why?
I always add fat with thick cut bacon or fat back.

definitely a double grind, We do ours course then mix beef fat, we do 90/10 then course grind again. never dry and always good to go t

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky