Ace Hardware

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The best thing about Ace is they are usually locally owned and operated. I like supporting people over big box stores when I can.
You bet . I'm not looking for a deal . I made a good wage when I worked , and had health care and a pension . I'll pay a couple bucks extra to support an independent owner who takes care of his employees any day of the week .

has Big Green Egg on the floor.
This guy did too . It's been so long since I've been to an Ace hardware it just took me by surprise . Heck last time I was in one I don't think half of the stuff he had was even a thing yet . Lol .

I’m pretty happy with Ace. Not sure if you folks ever had an Orchard Supply Hardware store, but Ace has filled the niche between the big box and the local store. Their prices are decent and selection Is good, the website works well for showing in-stock and ship-to-store or home. They carry quality brands and the bigger stores have a BBQ section that no one else can rival.

You bet . I'm not looking for a deal . I made a good wage when I worked , and had health care and a pension . I'll pay a couple bucks extra to support an independent owner who takes care of his employees any day of the week .
My Ace is locally owned and they train the employees extremely well. I stopped by my ace early Summer for some fittings and asked one of the gals where the compression fittings were.... she said 1/4" for an evap cooler? Are you running copper or poly? About $4 later I was good to go.

We have Ace and a True value hardware.
At Ace the employees stay up by the door and pounce on you when you come in. Kinda irritating to me sometimes because I’m a savvy guy who knows what he is there to get, but it’s also sometimes nice I’m always polite about it.

The True Value is a little more layed back but still very helpful plus they have a small engine repair shop so nice to swing in and grab maintenance items for my Husky saws.

We have Ace and a True value hardware.
At Ace the employees stay up by the door and pounce on you when you come in. Kinda irritating to me sometimes because I’m a savvy guy who knows what he is there to get, but it’s also sometimes nice I’m always polite about it.

The True Value is a little more layed back but still very helpful plus they have a small engine repair shop so nice to swing in and grab maintenance items for my Husky saws.
Pounce is the right word, but if you are a regular, or you point and just say "I need some carriage bolts", they leave you alone. Now, my buddy "Plumber Gus" on the other hand is in there 3 or 4 times a day and they just leave an open ticket for him because he buys more than he might need, then just returns what he didn't use. Then he starts the same deal tomorrow.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Sounds good Rich. We have 3 Ace's nearby and I've been to 2 of them, and they have a good stock. Fate took you there.

Reactions: chopsaw
chopsaw chopsaw , yeah I have been in there and he definitely has the Que stuff. Unfortunately I was there for Something (can't remember what now) that I would consider basic hardware item and struck out. 2 more items on separate trips with same results. 3 trips, 3 strikes...done. not likely to go back.

Thank you for the heads up
It worked great . I had a copy of the transaction , and my order was up behind the counter . Showed the receipt to the gal grabbed the box and off I went . That was after looking at all the BBQ goodies .

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
I'm not impressed. Yeah they have a few top-end grills including Big Green Egg but not so much for the commoner who is on a budget. I easily beat Ace's prices at other local big-box hardware stores and have more success finding what I need as well. Before our local hardware store joined the Ace system they stocked all the stuff our local houses needed for maintenance, not so much now. They do have a small engine repair center that appears to be decent, I've never used it though so don't know much about it.

I'm not impressed. Yeah they have a few top-end grills including Big Green Egg but not so much for the commoner who is on a budget. I easily beat Ace's prices at other local big-box hardware stores and have more success finding what I need as well. Before our local hardware store joined the Ace system they stocked all the stuff our local houses needed for maintenance, not so much now. They do have a small engine repair center that appears to be decent, I've never used it though so don't know much about it.
Your Ace doesn't price match? The two that I shop at price match and beat the price by at least 5% often 15% if you shop there a lot, and they know you.

I'm glad y'all have good luck with Ace. The one in Hinsdale, IL is not well stocked, and the employees don't know what they carry or how anything works. They own several other businesses. My theory is they are getting you in the door to sell you on other services.

The one in Clarendon Hills is a bit better, to be fair.

Last edited:
Love Ace. They also have free shipping on orders sent to the store. Tons of Q supplies online and they will keep them in stock if ask to down here. The rewards program is also nice with multiple coupons monthly.

My local Ace, both of them carry a bunch of rubs, sauces, injections, deep fry batters and pickled chili peppers and pickles. Along with a great grill and smoker parts area Weber grills, pellet poopers, drums, Big green eggs, Green Mountain pellet grills, Blackstone griddles. And an awesome charcoal, pellet and flavor wood selection. It's by far the best store we have in our town for smoking and cook'in out, way better than Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart or Dick's.👍

Ace is a hardware retailers cooperative. Your local store is subject to what that local owner wants to sell.

Out here after July 4th BBQ and lawn care items go on sale and by Oct that floor space is occupied by Halloween and Christmas products.
Then as the season starts flirting with warmer weather BBQ and lawn care displays start to reappear.

These veggy and pre-sliced sausage Teflon smoking baskets were expensive out here and I balked at buying them. Then finally went on half price sale at Ace.
910RzlfXg+L._AC_UY218_.jpg
They've since come down in price considerably. I think maybe $20 on Amazon.

Amazon is rarely overnight delivery around these parts anymore. Lucky to get something in a week or two if at all. So the Local ACE comes in handy.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky