A step by step jerky recipe. Part One

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
nice rundown Lee-have thought about but hav't done it.with the temps and smoke time does it need the tenderguick?

Now I have something new to try
wink.gif

I did a search for jerky recipes a while back and found White Clouds recipe. I have to say it is the best mix I have ever tried, and that includes the Hi Mountain stuff. I use it on beef, but will try the pork. Looks good!

This is cured, so if ya want to smoke at 150, that would be fine. I just like to get it done alittle sooner. One thing about jerky; I just keep mine chilled, in a gallon zip bag with a paper towel stuffed in there. But after two weeks in the ice box it seems to really improve.

I cant find tender quick in my area. Boo nly online but the shippong is more than product price. I have a large bag of cure #1. How would I alter your recipe for exactly 2 pounds of meat? Your jerrky looks great.

was planning on doing some pork jerky this weekend and was looking at White Cloud's recipe and pictures.  Looks great!

One question - I am reading that I should freeze the port loin for about 20 days to guard against Trichinosis......does the temperature of 170 F that White Cloud uses eliminate the need to freeze the pork loin?   I would think it would, but was hoping to hear from someone with more knowledge on this

Thanks

Like they all said
Looks-Great.gif
points.gif

I do more jerky with my smoker than anything else ( thanks to this forum I'm learning and branching out, and lovin it ). Your technique IMHO is flawless, and yes, that smoker looks awesome.

Have made moose, beef and deer jerky. Pork loin is for sure on my list now.  Just wish I could find it as cheap as you did. It averages 3-4 $ lb here. Real good job, thanks for sharing and the Q vue !

We have been using White Cloud's recipe for 2.5 years all we changed was went to 2 tsp. of tender quick and 1/8 tsp of red pepper per pound and ever one loves it..Also we smoke for two hours at 150^ ...Has anyone tried white cloud's recipe with less sugar or no sugar ???

stayhot ..white cloud's recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of tender quick per pound and we found this to be to salty...so we reduced it to 2 teaspoons per pound.. we have never cared for the liquid brine recipes ....

white cloud Recipe..
Step by step jerky recipe
Well this is how I do it anyway.

Sorry the pics seem alittle fuzzy, I don't know what caused it and by the time I discovered it , it was to late to re do. But good enough to get the point.

The Fruits of my Loin

This is a step by step of how I dry cure and smoke my Jerky
I have used this basic recipe that I had come up with for; Beef, venison and chicken jerky with good results.
It is recommended that you use the leanest meat possible for jerky and I had always wanted to try using a pork loin.
It is lean in the middle and you can’t beat the price, it is usually under $2.00 a pound here.

I picked this one up for $1.79 a pound and it weighs 4.98 pounds, Totaling $8.91

Removed most all the fat and membrane, and it trimmed up pretty good.

Got it all sliced at about ¼ inch thick and ended up with 3 ½ pounds for jerky.

I re-trimmed the scraps of additional membrane and had 1-½ pounds to add to my future sausage-making excursion.
The small pile is about ¼ pound of waste.

Carefully measured for each pound of meat:

1 Tbls. Morton Tender Quick
1 Tbls. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Fresh Course Black Pepper
¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper

And mix to blend well.

In order to get a even distribution of the seasoning/cure I placed half or 1 3/4 pound each on separate sheet pans.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky