A Salmon kinda weekend (Q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonboat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Upstate NY
Two neighbors of mine went on separate salmon charters out on Lake Ontario last week, and both ended up with way more fish than they have freezer space for... naturally, they thought about smoked salmon and brought me a LOT of fish to run through my ECB.

Essentially, one full gallon ziplock bag (and I mean FULL), is enough to fill both racks in my ECB. I was given 6 of these full gallon bags.

With things going on, there simply was no way to smoke them all up over the weekend, but I did manage to do two batches.
The first batch I didn't even get started on until 8:00PM, so by the time I was done, the meat had cooled and I had it in the fridge, it was 2:00 AM. For some reason I woke up, wide awake at 7:30 the next morning, and went ahead and pulled the second batch out of the brine and got it going.

Simple brown sugar and kosher salt wet brine. (1 gal water, 1 C dark brown sugar, 1/2 C Kosher salt)
basted fillets with maple syrup 30 minutes before done
smoked for 5 hours on the left side of "ideal" on the Brinkmann with apple wood chunks for my smoke (needle pointed between the 11 and 12 o'clock position).

Since bearcarveer mentioned smoking without skin, I decided to give it at try. This was the first time I did salmon without skin (or foil under it). Turns out, that skinless is the way I'm smoking salmon from here on out - it definitely makes a difference - in a positive way. Also, I did the first batch as a 5 hour smoke and the second batch as a 4 hour smoke. I'm like bearcarver, in that I like the harder smoked salmon that I can grab and eat with my hand as a snack, so it turned out that the 5 hour smoke is the one that turned out the way I like it. I'll still do some for 4 hours - for the recipes my wife has that use smoked salmon, but will do more of the 5 hour snack variety. Since I'm still using the factory temp gage on my ECB, I'm guessing the whole smoke stays between 200 and 225. With the ECB, I can't do the stepped temps that BC does with his MES, so have to stick with low and slow.

Gee I've still got four more batches to do, and if time permits, I plan to catch some for myself too. Gonna have lots of smoked salmon to put up in the freezer for the winter!!! The salmon should be staging off the mouths of the tributaries this coming weekend, making shallow trolling the way to go, followed in a couple weeks by the big fall run getting into full force. Boat, then waders! Maybe I'll run into BC's son up at Pulaski!

QView

On the grates air drying to form pellicle (i only go about an hour - I usually wait about 15-20 minutes, then start up my charcoal chimney - right about an hour out, it's ready to smoke:

got a chimney full started up

First batch done (5 hours):

second batch (4 hours)

oh yeah, there is a bit missing from one chunk in both finished photos - the cook had to sample it to make sure it was ok for everyone else :biggrin:

Last edited:
Excellent!!!

thumb1.gif

Looks Great Jonboat !!!

Real glad you liked them.

Don't know when, but my son says he's going up this year.

He goes up a couple of the small streams that dump into Pulaski, so keep going up stream & you might bump into him & his buddies.

Look for a guy cheating (grabbing them by the tail & chucking them on the bank----Shhhh). LOL

Bear

he must be that guy that runs up and down the creek chasing fish!!!!! LOL!

I wish him a full stringer! (I wish me one too!)

he must be that guy that runs up and down the creek chasing fish!!!!! LOL!

I wish him a full stringer! (I wish me one too!)
LOL---I was never there, but he said in the smaller tributaries, their backs are sometimes out of water, and they bang into your waders now & then.

Must be a riot!!!

Don't forget the Qview,

Bear

I ended up finding a smaller stream - well away from Pulaski, where not many folks fish. Salmon in shallow water, sight fishing. Since they don't feed, the trick is to annoy them into taking a chomp of your bait. I set up my drift to put my bait about 2" in front of their nose, so it's waving back-n-forth in front of them. only takes a couple minutes to get them to bite, then comes all the fun of trying to land them!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky