A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER will not stay lit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexlan

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I have had pretty poor luck with the pellet tray.  Constantly goes out.

I am trying to use a propane smoker and wonder if that is the issue. 

If I put it too close to a lower vent it catches fire.  If I put it on a shelf up 6" instantly goes out.

If I put it on the bottom next to the propane fire it will burn occasionally but weak.

I have excellent draft so wonder if the propane burner is taking the oxygen?

Gassers burn most of the available Oxygen inside the smoker. The small holes in the AMNPS does not allow what's left to get to the pellets to keep them burning. The AMNTS Tube Pellet Smoke Generator has large holes and many Propane owners are having good results with them...JJ

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies ... probably the gas burner is the problem.

CRush up some pellets and mix the dust with the whole pellets in the tray/tube. That should keep it lit and make for some good smoke.

It's time for a mailbox mod..... Dave
yeahthat.gif

Does the thing work OK in the electric masterbuilt or is it touchy?
I have a 30 inch MES smoker, and an AMNPS.  Works very well in my MES.  Use the AMNPS rather than the chip tray for consistent smoke, as it smokes all the time, the chip tray does not, only smoking when the element is on.

If getting one, get the 5 X 8 model, as that size fits on the rods to to the left of the heat tray, very well.

Last edited:

Does the thing work OK in the electric masterbuilt or is it touchy?
I have the newer model 40 with vent on the side. Myself, and others, have issues keeping it burning. There's been a list of different ideas folks have shared to make it work, and I've yet to find the secret. I'm going to try the pellet tube, and if that doesn't work, I'm moving on to something more consistent.

That is sort of what I suspected.  My big smoker is electric and I have to place it near a side vent to keep it going.  When I do however, it burns too fast or catches fire.  If I move it it goes out.

My pellets are good and dry.  I even put 2# of them in the dehydrator to check.  Just seems real touchy.

I am not willing to spend another $40 and $13 shipping to test it again.  I have wasted 5# of pellets already.

I can't comment on the new gen Masterbuilt but I have 2 1st gen MES and 2 AMNPS and they work flawlessly placing them on the rails on the left side with Chip tray and Loader 1" out...JJ

Last edited:
Try different pellets or a mix. Unless it is a reasonably warm day I find that Oak pellets do go out easily. Hickory pellets on the other hand will continue to burn at near zero (c) temperatures outside. When it gets cool I now always use either Hickory or a mix of Oak and hickory.

The direction of the burn in relation to the air flow seems to make a significant difference too when its cold. If you have the air flow in the same direction as the burn then it seems to go out more easily in my smoker, however if you have the air flow blowing across the burn then it seems to keep alight. Maybe the burning pellets help keep the downwind pellets warmer (?). This is what I find works but maybe others have different experiences. It always helps to give the pellets a good 5 to 8 minute blast on high in the microwave too before loading them (still warm) into the AMNPS.

I can't comment on the new gen Masterbuilt but I have 2 1st gen MES and 2 AMNPS and they work flawlessly placing them on the rails on the left side with Chip tray and Loader 1" out...JJ
I ordered a 40" Masterbuilt from Amazon so I will check it out.  If it is an issue I will just use the smoke generator I made with the aquarium pump.  It works fine ... just another cord for the power is all.  I'm not willing to spend another $40 + shipping on a tube version of the tray.

50° (10°C) is about as cool as it gets here in Florida but it is damp.  I keep the pellets in a can however.  I only use hickory.

Does the pellet-smoker work with any brand of pellets?  I was given bags of Traeger pellets and was wondering if they would work in the AMNPS 5x8 tray.

Thanks

I used Cookshack/Fast Eddy pellets. I think they all work with standard food grade pellets though

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky