A Little Sour Dough Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
15 or 16 years ago I got on a bread kick, actually the lady that lived beside my Mom got me started. Gave me some Sour Dough Starter and that was it. Flash forward a bunch of years. We were talking about how good that bread was, especially when its right out of the oven and slathered with butter. So a few weeks ago I dug out my old recipe, got my starter going and i'm back in the bread business.
The recipe I have makes 3 loafs. So once a week I make 3 loafs. I give one to the neighbor who looks forward to some nice warm bread, and I keep the other two.

Here are the directions:

Potato Flake Sourdough Starter and Bread Recipe

Potato flakes make an easy starter for sourdough bread. This is a variation of friendship starter for breads. With attention, you can keep this starter going for a very long time. It will continue to gather wild yeast from the air and just get better. As with most yeast breads, you will need to plan ahead for rising time when you use the starter to bake bread.

Ingredients:

• Starter (first time):
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 package (2-1/4 teaspoons) dry yeast
  • 3 level Tablespoons instant potato flakes
  • Starter Feeder (subsequent times):
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons potato flakes
  • To Make Bread:
  • 6 cups bread flour
  • 1 Tablespoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1-1/4 cups warm water
  • 1 cup starter (See notes below)
Preparation:

First Time Starter Directions:
Mix water, sugar,
yeast, and potato flakes. Let ferment on counter for two days. Then feed with starter feeder (below). If you get starter from someone else, you can omit this step.

Starter Feeder:
Combine water, sugar, and potato flakes. Add to starter. Let stand on countertop eight hours. Refrigerate 3 to 5 days, then make bread.

After using 1 cup of the starter for dough, pour one cup back into container and refrigerate. Discard any other starter. Store starter in refrigerator.

When you are ready to make more bread or every 3 to 5 days add starter feeder mix again. Stir well and leave on the counter overnight or all day (about 12 hours).

To Make Bread:
Add flour, salt, sugar, oil, and water to starter. Mix well. Knead on a floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Put dough into a greased bowl. Cover with a wet dish towel and let it rise in a warm place overnight or all day (about 12 hours).

Punch down. Knead on a floured surface to get any air bubbles out.

Spray 3 loaf pans with cooking spray and divide dough approximately equal into the 3 pans (shaping into loaf form). Let rise 6 to 8 hours, covered loosely.

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes.

Here is a couple of Pics

All ready to go into the oven
IMG_0299.jpg

And after 30 min. in the oven, Wish you could smell these MMMmmmm

IMG_0300.jpg

Thanks for looking

Gart

Last edited:
Those look great. Haven't made sourdough in years myself. Now you shamed me into it, I'll have to dig out the recipes. I love bread but biscuits and pancakes are my weakness.

Eggs Benedict on homemade sour dough with some homemade back bacon and hollandaise. That might have to happen this week.

Now that sounds good Eggs Benedict is my favorite

Gary

Reactions: oddegan
My wife makes sourdough English muffin bread and probably half of all the back bacon I make ends up as eggs Benedict or just good old bacon sammies on it. Good stuff. She's the baker in this family. Good thing I'm a runner or I'd weigh 300 pounds!

Wish I had starter and be able to make bread like that. I have made Rollers break.

Great looking bread Gary!
Judy has just recently gotten into making sourdough bread & got some starter from the 1700's.
Pretty cool huh!
Al

Thanks Guys Its great stuff

Gary

I just save old bread wrappers and use them

Gary

That looks wonderful! You can't purchase anything that even comes close to home baked bread in my area.

Give it a shot its super easy I'll post the how to and directions

Gary

Here it is I'll put it with the first post also

Potato Flake Sourdough Starter and Bread Recipe

Potato flakes make an easy starter for sourdough bread. This is a variation of friendship starter for breads. With attention, you can keep this starter going for a very long time. It will continue to gather wild yeast from the air and just get better. As with most yeast breads, you will need to plan ahead for rising time when you use the starter to bake bread.

Ingredients:

• Starter (first time):
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 package (2-1/4 teaspoons) dry yeast
  • 3 level Tablespoons instant potato flakes
  • Starter Feeder (subsequent times):
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons potato flakes
  • To Make Bread:
  • 6 cups bread flour
  • 1 Tablespoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1-1/4 cups warm water
  • 1 cup starter (See notes below)
Preparation:

First Time Starter Directions:
Mix water, sugar,
yeast, and potato flakes. Let ferment on counter for two days. Then feed with starter feeder (below). If you get starter from someone else, you can omit this step.

Starter Feeder:
Combine water, sugar, and potato flakes. Add to starter. Let stand on countertop eight hours. Refrigerate 3 to 5 days, then make bread.

After using 1 cup of the starter for dough, pour one cup back into container and refrigerate. Discard any other starter. Store starter in refrigerator.

When you are ready to make more bread or every 3 to 5 days add starter feeder mix again. Stir well and leave on the counter overnight or all day (about 12 hours).

To Make Bread:
Add flour, salt, sugar, oil, and water to starter. Mix well. Knead on a floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Put dough into a greased bowl. Cover with a wet dish towel and let it rise in a warm place overnight or all day (about 12 hours).

Punch down. Knead on a floured surface to get any air bubbles out.

Spray 3 loaf pans with cooking spray and divide dough approximately equal into the 3 pans (shaping into loaf form). Let rise 6 to 8 hours, covered loosely.

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky