A little help for you

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
I have recently decided to try to start making recipes going to the more accurate grams, but living in the united states one of the few countries that refuses to go metric. and knowing different foods have different weight to volume.
So to the inter webs i go. and found this sight.
https://www.convert-me.com/en/

once there on the left side find under special look for cooking, you can pick the ingredient you want.

not sure if this is the best slot but couldn't find anything in recipes.

Reactions: JC in GB
Interesting. When I need to convert ounces to grams, or visa versa, I usually just Google "convert ounces to grams," etc. I saved the Special and Cooking pages above to my favorites. We'll see how I like it over time.

I've actually started baking regularly within the last year (whole wheat breads, muffins, desserts, etc) because I cannot tolerate much all-purpose flour any more. I have severe arthritis in my shoulders from sports and crashes. Even the "whole wheat" and "whole grain" bread sold in stores is usually a mix of whole wheat and AP wheat flour. One sandwich of store bought bread and I can't lift my arms. When I bake the bread using 100% whole wheat flour I trust, I don't have any problems.

Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat flour has 38g per 1/4 cup. Out comes the phone calculator and the scale if it is a new recipe, depending on what I'm baking.

BTW, before anyone thinks gluten is the arthritis problem is not correct. I actually add vital wheat gluten to my bread recipe. VWG is basically the protein from the wheat. Adding it helps turn what is usually a dry whole wheat bread into moist, soft goodness that will keep up to two weeks in the fridge or 5-6 days on the counter.

Thanks for posting the converter.

Reactions: tallbm
Thanks JC. Good information. But I am too old to change; turning 69 next month.

I'm going to state the obvious here, On a crappy weather day sit down and start converting some recipes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky