A little experiment & a Porterhouse steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
...How long do the chunks last after they get to smoking?
Al
Alas, not long. Pellets about 45 minutes, chips about an hour, slices about 2 hours.
It's why I seldom use the grease/fat "slide" pan....I want an easier way to replenish that smoking wood. You take them out as charcoal...they've been smoking only...you don't want them burning to ash like what happens in your crucible/firepot.
What makes the new Camp Chef Pro models so interesting is they utilize this idea in a pull-out drawer so replenishing this smoker wood is easy, even with all the grates fully loaded with meat and the "slide pan" in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinAl
A Porterhouse is the best steak there is, in my humble opinion. I am so hungry now after see this, my stomach hurts. Looks great!!!

Knew the steak would be great, since you were doing it Al. 80 lbs of pellets will take a while. How about running hot and fast on some thick chuckies a couple of times. Could do same with an extra brisket then cut into chunked portions large enough for batches of chili, vac and freeze.

Thank you, not a bad idea, but I’ve been mixing them with the Lumberjack pellets, but will be glad when I’m using 100% Lumberjack.
Al

Amazing steak! I used to do the wood chunks in my MES element too. Congrats on the new rig!

Excellent cook , experiment and meal Al!
And congrats on the ride!

Keith

A Porterhouse is the best steak there is, in my humble opinion. I am so hungry now after see this, my stomach hurts. Looks great!!!

Thanks a lot guys!
Al

WHOA!! What a fantastic cook Al. That steak is nothing short of absolute perfection. You certainly did it justice my friend. That is about as beautifully cooked as a person could ever ask for. I sent the link for this thread to Joe at CPB and he was salivating!! It just does not get any better than this and a superb way to showcase a great steak.

Robert

WHOA!! What a fantastic cook Al. That steak is nothing short of absolute perfection. You certainly did it justice my friend. That is about as beautifully cooked as a person could ever ask for. I sent the link for this thread to Joe at CPB and he was salivating!! It just does not get any better than this and a superb way to showcase a great steak.

Robert

Thank you Robert, but we know it wouldn’t have been possible without your generosity. I haven’t had a Porterhouse in a long while & that one probably spoiled me. I doubt I’ll ever get one that good again.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky