A gift

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
We received a call this morning that a client had a package for me. I headed out to his shop and was presented with a 13 lb. bone-in brisket. Thank you very much. He has a stall at a farmer's market and there is a butcher shop in the next stall.

We've cut it into two pieces as about 5 lb is enough for the 3 of us. I tried for three but could not cut between the bones. We need to find a time to get the client over for dinner as his significant other had issues cooking one. We just cant them give up on brisket.

What is the difference in smoking bone-in brisket?

Nice gift. Bone in will take a bit longer. The bones are insulators and will slow heating on that side. If you are handy with a knife, cut them out and be done with it,easier to slice...JJ

Sounds yummy .. you could slow cook in the crock pot also. Maybe bones will pull out if you cook it long enough..
Edit :

The bones would be good for making some stock I bet . I found an old thread I read online once.. talking about how they used to have bones in briskets..
And an old pic of a movie that shows a packer brisket sign on a store .99 ¢ a pound lol..

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/bbq-anatomy-101-bone-in-brisket/

Last edited:
The knife I have that is supposedly sharp enough was not able to get between the bones to split it up.
Anyone have any ideas as to how much longer?
This client regularly has little bonuses for us. My wife wondered if it was a brisket when he called as he had been at the market this morning.

You cut all the bones off down the row all in one long piece. You can cook the bones like a rack of ribs or separate ..
But if you leave them on you just have to use a probe thermometer into the center not touching the bones.
Would be nice to see a picture of what you have.
Did you go see the link I posted above?

Just remove the bone as a whole piece under the bone; it is not critical how you do it, just get under the bone as there is a good amount of fat layer before you get to meat.

beef bone in brisket1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky