a fishy problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
lol than your doing it wrong
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

IMO, a non fishy fish would be the box fish, GORTONS fish sticks. On a serious note, i dont like fish that much, and wont touch a fish with a strong flavor with a 10 ft pole. I DO like walleye though, enough to fish for it (unsuccessfully). It has a mild flavor and is nice and firm. Ive only had it fried, but i guess that smoking it would be good also, maybe with some lemon pepper or a cajun rub, or a coconut rub spritzed with malibu rum. Hmmmm. I may be making a trip to the store shortly. What ever you decide, i would try it out on the spouse, parent, neighbor, or some other carnivorous friend who would be honest with you before trying something new on a guest. Good luck and let us know what you some up with!

scallops, shrimp, sea bass, halibut, flounder... halibut has a great creamy taste... love it
I've also done redfish, bluefish, and mackeral, but I like fish so it could be a little fishy for someone that doesn't...

I know, dr. suess...

grilled catfish is great. make it spicey. Grilled I stick with tuna, shark, striper or salmon. Tuna is #1 in my book. very steak like. I'm in the deep south and have a pretty strong cajun background so, well you know, suck the heads and eat the tails. smoked crawfish rock!!!!

When doing salmon or large trout, when it is done, You peel off the skin there is sometimes a grey line all the way down the fish. This is a fatty substance that can taste a little off. Take a spoon and gently scrap this grey stuff off and discard it.

I agree with what selling the blues man said. If it smells fishy it probably is not fresh and should not be used.

Monkfish resembles steak when done also.

I really love a good burbot fillet, its nice and firm with a really nice delicate flavour.

In reality I must admit that if someone tells me they don't like a food that I am preparing for them, I just let them go hungry.
I have little or no patience with food snobs.

I am a bit late to this one, but I would go with the swordfish or Tuna steaks...pretty easy to cook (don't overcook them), very mild and tastes great! I am not a big fan of salmon...although one of my best friends lives in Portland, Oregon and does a fresh salmon cooked on a ceder plank that is (even for me that doesn't generally like salmon) pretty darn tasty...plus it is something not everyone has seen before and it makes for a dramatic presentation!
You Salmon plank cooking folks out there can probably give better details, but as I recall he did a basic salt/pepper (maybe some lemon?) season on the fish put on the ceder plank (be sure your ceder is not treated in any way!) and put in on a VERY hot grill (I believe you would put the lid down). The planks start to char and smoke the fish cooks...serve it on the plank.

I would suggest Cod, Flounder, or Halibut with about a 1 hour mild salt brine. These are cold water fish, and have the good colestrol factors in them. You could always marinate them in a Italian dressing overnite. I had done this with tuna steak, and it tasted fantastic. But if you don't like the fishy taste stay away from tuna. My kids loved fresh flounder, they used to call it chicken fish. It would be fairly safe to say that almost any farm raised fish is less fishy tasting than wild caught fish.

Fred you looking to smoke it or grill it? Fattier fish work well for smoking.

Salmon and steelhead trout are king on the smoker but salmon has a rich flavor. Some people just don't like it. My wife is one of them. Will eat most other fish but the only way she likes salmon is raw in sushi or cold smoked. She will eat it in a smoked fish dip.

Tuna is best served raw or rare. Cooked enough to just give a bit of color to around 1/8" of the surface all the way around but left basically raw in the middle.

Swordfish is a nice meaty textured fish with a mild flavor. Grouper is a bit softer with large flakes and good texture. Yes a favorite here in Florida and I've shot my share. I'm very partial to snapper when fresh. It was my preferred fish when spearfishing. More delicate than grouper with small flakes and a softer texture and mild flavor.

I've been getting wahoo from a market near me. I think it comes from Mexico. I love it. It has a texture more like swordfish but it is not as firm and cooks up very white. It's an excellent balance of texture and flavor. Also very mild

Wahoo is in the mackerel family but mackerel is much more oily and is great on the smoker or grill. It has a stronger flavor though.

Tilapia I can live without. It has very little of any flavor and what flavor it has is a muddy taste that comes from the farm raised methods in which it's raised.

I've also been getting corvina or corbina. A common fish caught in the Pacific around South America. Also very popular fish caught in Costa Rica. Thick like grouper but a slightly softer texture. Still considered a firm white fish. Mild in flavor

Flounder is a very soft white fish. Very delicate in texture and flavor.

Well I've covered a few fish. Again how you're cooking will depend on what you want to buy. Fatty and oily fish do great on the smoker or grill. Firm white fish do great on the grill. If the texure is too delicate like flounder or even small snapper it hard to grill without it breaking up unless you have a special grill basket for fish. All can be done in a pan on the stove or oven.

I'll go back to my wife again. When I first met her she would not eat any fish. Must of had a bad experience growing up I use to buy fish and poach it for her. This removes much of the flavor IMO. A nice sauce will do it well. Over time I weaned her off poached fish and now she will eat most any fish. I'm getting her more use to cooked salmon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky