a fishy problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fred420

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
buffalo, ny
turning to my fellow smokers for help.... i am not a fish eater at all but looking to smoke some fish for company coming over... what would be an unfishy fish with a meat like texture that i could smoke? any ideas would be appreciated............ thanks for your input from a non-fish eater....

fish that is mild and has a meaty texture...

I like sword fish, pretty mild, good solid tight flake, kinda feels like a pork chop when it is cooked well.

wahoo is a great fish if you can find it, another firm flesh that takes on pork like properties when cooked well

any of the flat fish will be mild but not very meat like when cooked.

Tuna is awesome, but at 21.99 a lb where I live who can afford it.

There are cool things like scallops and crabs that are fun and different and even anti fish folks like.

I even think seabass might be nice, it has a firm texture when cooked, not like any meat though, but is not squishy or jelly like.

Good luck

I see the chef already recommended sword fish. We used to buy it when we lived in the city and when grilled you would think it was a pork chop.

Being you are in NY, I would go for Salmon also. Pick up some Kraft's Sundried Tomato Salad Dressing and use it as a dip for the fish. Even you might like it.
wink.gif

Herring, Cod, Cisco, Trout, Tilapia, heck whatever.
Salmon rocks.

Jeeze, smoked carp is pretty good.

ANY fish will do.

For me the best unfishy fish is Talapia. It takes the smoke flavor quick and is very easy to do. I buy a box of fillets at Walmart when on sale, if not on sale, just deli fillets. I'll baste the fillets with some butter and then season them with my favorite spices, depending on my taste. Some times cajun, or season All. I use a foil pan sold at store with holes in the bottom, put fillets in and set on pit when heat is right (200 or so). About 15 minutes or so later they are done. If the fillet is white when probed with a fork all the way thru its done.
You can also cook fish on the half shell, I do Red Drum, Croaker, Trout, Black drum, Whiting this way. When you fillet fish, leave the scales on, season fish and put them scale side down/meat side up on pit. I like to put seasoning on then top the half shells, then cover with Pico De Gallo, put in fridge a couple hours then send them to the pit.

Grouper or swordfish.

Grouper flakes off wonderfully. We spearfish grouper down here and it is by far one of my favorites. Not too fishy, and awesome texture.

Tilapia just for what it is makes me not a huge fan. Farm raised most of the time. Some like it though so I respect that.

lol so far I think people have recommended just about every fish that swims.

Trout is a strong flavour and a lot of fish eaters doin't like it. avoid trout.

I'll jump on the salmon, swordfish and tuna wagon.
Both swordfish and tuna cooks like best fillet steak. You have to be very careful not to over cook them though as they turn tough very easily.
Salmon has a very mild flavour and takes extremely well to smoking. Both hot and cold. Start with hot - cold smoked salmon seems to be a europaen thing mainly :-)

Plus it's farmed, cheap and readily available.
The fiosh itself has large bones and you rarely find any in salmon fillets - another bonus :-)
go for salmon. but be careful not to overcook.

Some have mentioned some good fish for grilling...which does not necessarily mean they are good for smoking. Best results are obtained smoking when the fish has a decent fat content. Salmon, Sable, Chub, Whitefish are some of the kings for smoking! I did see an article here on marinating Walleye with some oil for smoking....

just cut the blood line(dark meat) out before smoking/grilling and that will get rid of most of the "fishy" taste in any fish

My way of cooking seafood:

White flesh - hot smoked or grilled over a medium fire & basted with lemon & butter. This includes most shellfish. Cooks up very fast.

Pink flesh or oily fish - cold smoked or planked is even better.

Dark flesh - seared over a hot fire, medium rare like a good steak.

I buy seafood the day or at most the day before I cook it. Take it home with ice in the bag (ask for it when you buy) and keep it on ice in the fridge until I prepare it. The best fish at the store will quickly get 'fishy' if not handled properly once you get it home.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky