A couple of Chuckies for the first smoke

Discussion in 'Beef' started by bob the noob, Mar 7, 2010.

1. bob the noob

bob the noob Smoke Blower

I was gonna try out the Banana with some ribs today, but Sam's Club only had pork ribs and the wife likes beef ribs a lot better. So I figured a couple chuckies would be easy enough.

I figure I'll take 'em to 205sh and shred 'em lightly, kinda like a crock-pot roast.

Feel free to watch the temps in the pit at the usual URL. It seems my hosting site may be having issues though, 'cause I got a few server errors earlier. [​IMG]

http://thesmokingshed.com/pit
    (The heating element status is always "off" right now, I forgot to change that part when I re-programmed the board yesterday. I'll get it fixed soon)

2. bob the noob

bob the noob Smoke Blower

Man, these old fridges sure hold heat well. So well so that I've got a small problem, not enough smoke!

I've got the oak chunks in a pie tin right on the heating element, but it only turns on a little bit to keep the temperature. The little bit of heat it gives off to maintain the temperature isn't enough to actually smolder the wood.

I'm trying an experiment now with some lump charcoal in there with the chunks around/on it and seeing if that does it.

3. pit 4 brains

pit 4 brains Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yeah it sounds like you need acouple lit briqs in there or maybe try building an external smoke generator..