9lb Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

olesmoky

Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Sullivan County Tennessee
So I have been checking out these forums for years (recently I have remembered to login) - anyway my son was born on 3/3/18 and the nurses impressed me so much I decided to smoke a 9 pound butt and deliver it to the hospital to say thank you.....they do noble work and don't get paid enough in my opinion. Here was my process:
1.) I am not sleeping so staying up all night is not a problem.
2.) injected apple cider vinegar and marinated in concentrated apple juice for 20hrs.
3.) coated with mustard and rubbed with Bad Byron's Butt Rubb for another 20hrs.
4.) smoked in my MES 30" over mesquite for 23hrs at 225.
5.) stalls at 161 and 187, sprayed with a mix of apple juice and Worchestershire every 2 hours or so.
6.) pushed the last stall through to an internal temp of 197 by turning the temp up to 250 for the last 90 minutes.
7.) foiled and wrapped in a blanket and put in a cooler to rest for 4 hours.
8.) pulled pork
I did not put any BBQ sauce on because I wanted to deliver it to the nurses with sauce on the side, Sweet Baby Rays (new baby = sweet baby). I used a Brinkman vertical gasser for years and recently replaced it with the MES and I must say that it is much more user friendly although I need to investigate the AMNPS because the MES alone did not produce a solid smoke ring in my opinion so any advice on AMNPS is welcome. I would also say that Bad Byron's is ok but a little salty for me, I think I will start going homemade on my rubs instead of store bought. Thanks for reading, do something nice for a nurse every chance you get, a good nurse is truly a blessing. I hope the pictures I tried to upload work......

Attachments

• 169.JPG
    169.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 170.JPG
    170.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 166.JPG
    166.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 172.JPG
    172.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 173.JPG
    173.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 174.JPG
    174.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 177.JPG
    177.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 71
Tis a noble thing you've done there laddie. And congratulations on the new little one.

Reactions: olesmoky
I made a mailbox mod for my MES that works really well for long smokes and cold smoking. I use the Amazing pellet tray.

Good looking pulled pork there. Congrats on the little one, my son is just about to turn 5 months and can’t wait for him to be old enough to sample some of dads cookin.

Nice job on the PP, and for a worthy cause. Congratulations on the new family member. It's a special day you'll never forget. One note: I remember always wishing my kids would reach their next stage in life. From crawling to walking, laughing to talking, staying at home to moving out. I couldn't wait for the next stage in their development. Now 30+ years later I miss all those early stages and the frustrations that came with them. Enjoy your journey.

Point for sure.

Chris.

Congrats on you're son! My daughter is 4 and I know all about the sleep. Give it about 6 months haha.

The boston butt looks great! I have an MES as well and use the AMNPS in it. Loading chips every 15 minutes is a joke. Check out Home Depot online I ordered my AMNPS there and it was $22 free shipping. Ended up ordering the pellets off amazon. You wont get a smoke ring using the MES but usually produces some pretty good Q.

As far as rubs go Jeff's is a good place to start or just search the forum. I have used Bilbo's Rub and also several of the other ones posted here and they all seem to produce great results. I too also used to use Byron's with the same feeling that it was too salty.

Go Vols!

Congrats on you're son! My daughter is 4 and I know all about the sleep. Give it about 6 months haha.

The boston butt looks great! I have an MES as well and use the AMNPS in it. Loading chips every 15 minutes is a joke. Check out Home Depot online I ordered my AMNPS there and it was $22 free shipping. Ended up ordering the pellets off amazon. You wont get a smoke ring using the MES but usually produces some pretty good Q.

As far as rubs go Jeff's is a good place to start or just search the forum. I have used Bilbo's Rub and also several of the other ones posted here and they all seem to produce great results. I too also used to use Byron's with the same feeling that it was too salty.

Go Vols!
I agree about the MES and adding chips. it is not sustainable. I will get some of Jeff's rub for sure, I see it recommended everywhere on this site. Do you use the AMNPS in the tube or tray? Go Big Orange!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky