1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured 8th Annual SMF NC Gathering, May 17, 18 and 19th 2019

Discussion in 'Events' started by alelover, Jan 24, 2019.

1. BigTurtle

BigTurtle Meat Mopper

Watching intently. 20190317_120045.jpg

2. Nice rig. You gonna bring it?

3. BigTurtle

BigTurtle Meat Mopper

There are a lot of mitigating circumstances right now that leave the future clouded in mystery. Only family member besides myself is Mom in Kentucky and her health has been causing me to travel there a lot. I was supposed to attend a Dutch oven cook off with Yetavon a few weeks back and had to rush to Kentucky. Same two weekends ago. If there isn't any catastrophe I may just show up. I can get a hotel at any time. I'm in Hendersonville so you're within easy range. Just bought a bunch of pecan and hickory for the gal so I'm set to smoke. This is why I'm watching intently. I don't want to ad onto a crowded field but I make brisket that Texans love. I like ribs and chicken for the cost. I have enough capacity to smoke one piece of about every critter in North America. I will say that I plan to attend and yes bring the "unit" . My local custom meats shop says they will make sausage rope style for me to hang and smoke. Not sure what else might follow.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    phatbac likes this.
  4. Inscrutable

Inscrutable Fire Starter SMF Premier Member

NC
    New here, and hope to attend. Supposed to be RV’ing in SC with family the previous weekend, so may be one or the other. Will see as we get closer.

5. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Man hoping we can still make it would be a big disappointment not to. But we have a daughter in the hospital not sure what's wrong at this time. Or I should say what's causing her problem. She has 2 daughters who can't take care of themselves and a 4 year old granddaughter who live with her. They are now all at our house. Hoping to get things worked out so we can still come. It's still 3 weeks away.

Warren

6. Hope it all works out.

7. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hoping so Scott.

Checked the freezer this morn for something else and the brisket I'm going to bring is 19 lbs.

Warren

8. BigTurtle

BigTurtle Meat Mopper

Novice question and forgive me for asking. How many pounds of meat should an attendee/participant plan on bringing ?

9. Good question. As much as you want that you can get cooked in the amount of time you will be there I guess.

10. BigTurtle

BigTurtle Meat Mopper

I reckon I should have asked how many folks on average attend ? Do they all try everything ?

11. Most people try everything pretty much. Usually have 40-50 go through during the weekend.

12. BigTurtle

BigTurtle Meat Mopper

Thanks. Great baseline info. Very much appreciated.

13. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

I plan to be there on Saturday for certain and will be dragging my good friend Gary along.

14. SFLsmkr1

SFLsmkr1 Legendary Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Not going to make it again this year

15. I have been trying to get there for the past 2 years. Praying to be able to get there for Saturday.

16. gixxerfrk

gixxerfrk Smoke Blower

How did I not know this has been going on in my backyard the last 7 years? Might have to bring one or both of my rigs out if I can.

17. BigTurtle

BigTurtle Meat Mopper

That would be nice.

18. Where's your backyard?