60-Day Dry Aged Wagyu Brisket Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clary9

Original poster
Jul 24, 2020
Hey all,

Quarantine had me somewhat bored so I am experimenting with a Wagyu Brisket. I decided to dry age it for 60-days. It looks amazing after a trim, but I am curious if the fat content will speed up or slow down the smoking process. Also curious if the finishing temp should be higher or lower than the usual ~200ish. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I am a bit late to the game in posting as I plan on smoking this thing tomorrow. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200721_115215.jpg
    20200721_115215.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200721_115412.jpg
    20200721_115412.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 36
I seem to remember mneeley490 mneeley490 and SmokinAl SmokinAl doing dry aged briskets. Don't think Al's came out too well but maybe they can chime in and help you!

You are right, after trimming mine there wasn’t enough left to smoke so I cured it & ground it up & made reuben brats.
Al

Reactions: clary9
Never did an aged Waygu , but dry-aged a couple primes (about 18 lbs each, 11 or twelve aged and trimmed) for about 25 days . Injected one prior to trimming, did the other one dry and smoked both at 275, wrapped at around 145, and went till tender. As I recall, they were both pretty buttery by around 195, and the injected brisket got there considerably quicker. They were both gamier/more umami rich than unaged primes, but I’m not sure it was worth the effort and extra weight loss.

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll post the process and outcome (pending the results haha). Fingers crossed!

Reactions: winsa12
Morning, Clary9!
I seem to remember that I had better luck than Al, but after the drying and trimming, it still weighed 50% of the green weight. It will have barely any stall, and get done much quicker than normal.
You can see mine here: Click!
I'd definitely do it again, though. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. How did you do the drying?

Sorry for the delay! Better late than never I suppose:

The brisket turned out amazing! There was a very rich umami flavor along with it being the most tender brisket I have ever done. It may not have been the sexiest looking brisket, but I would do it again for the right crowd.

It fed about 6 people as the dry aging took a ton of weight away. It really didn't lose much weight while on the smoker, which was nice.

Regardless, if you're looking for something fun and different I would recommend giving it a shot.

I used Umai Dry Age Bags. Dry aged for 60-days. Smoked at 250 for about 7 hours on my Traeger until it reached 205. Threw it in a cooler for 2 hours then sliced it up. Here are the results:
20200725_194614.jpg
20200725_194150.jpg
20200725_194611.jpg
20200725_194008.jpg

I think that's a good looking brisket. Did you happen to know what it weighed after trimming? Man all I really need is a paper plate and a fork!

I think that's a good looking brisket. Did you happen to know what it weighed after trimming? Man all I really need is a paper plate and a fork!
I believe it started around 15-16 lbs before the dry-age and after trimming it was around 8. It really didn't shrink much during the smoke. I did cut off a small piece towards the end of the flat and attempted to make burnt ends (I know the point is better for that), as it was a little thin. I over cooked them slightly, but still tasty.

Reactions: texomakid
Looks like a fun adventure. Dry aging is something I want to try...maybe after i quit my job in a couple weeks..

Reactions: Cabo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky