6 pound turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shawnmaloney01

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Trying to figure out how long a 6 pound turkey will take to smoke. Everything I see is about 12 pounders.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

Not long. what temp are you planning to use and on what smoker?

that's a baby turkey. the double breast I made for thanksgiving was 9LB

Ya it is a small one. probably 240 degrees and is a master-built electric vertical smoker.
Thanks

Long enough to throw back a few beverages while you periodically check the internal temp. Lol.
Ive never done one that small but I would say going to be a fast cook. Just be on stand by to check temps

I would say about 3-4 hours at 225, pull it when the breast hits 157 IT. Put it on the counter with a loose foil cover & the temp will rise to around 165 in about 1/2 hour. Tender & juicy breast! And the thighs should be around 175, which is perfect, cause they have more connective tissue & need to go to a higher temp to be tender. I would also sugggest you spatchcock it, because it will cook much more evenly!
Good luck!
Al

SmokinAl SmokinAl got the important details. The only thing I might add is a short brine before cooking.

Spatch is my favorite for chicken.

I've cooked chicken bigger than that turkey.
I'm not making fun of your turkey size. Actually the opposite. I would love to try one that size. Turkey has a funk that I don't like and may have to do with size.
When I was in college one of the house mates had excess turkey poults from a project.
Turkey the size of a Cornish game hen tastes great.

Reactions: shawnmaloney01
Well now wife said she got a 6 pound turkey breast not whole turkey.
suggestions?
2 hours at 275
37FE4AA5-68B2-498A-BA35-C06ABCEC76BB.jpeg
3386CB90-C6D5-41A5-BF2B-926F6E4C7310.jpeg

Reactions: shawnmaloney01
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky