560 firestarters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

Saw someone else's post and got these for my 560. Super product works great for this grill. others I used were too thick thanks wh0evger posted these originally. Rutland 144 square fire starters..

Rutland 50B Safe Lite Fire Starter Squares, 144 Squares

Pardon my ignorance on the 560 and please correct me where I'm wrong and I'll be happy to eat my foot.

Do you not start charcoal in the bottom of the hopper to get your initial red coals?

I guess in my mind you would/could still use the charcoal chimney, dump in the hot coals, then pour your colds on top of that.

My experience with firestarters was that they take forever and light a very small area. So the only option was to use a bunch of them for a wider start area which drives the cost way up and I'm still waiting around forever for the damn things to work :-)

Pardon my ignorance on the 560 and please correct me where I'm wrong and I'll be happy to eat my foot.

Do you not start charcoal in the bottom of the hopper to get your initial red coals?

I guess in my mind you would/could still use the charcoal chimney, dump in the hot coals, then pour your colds on top of that.

My experience with firestarters was that they take forever and light a very small area. So the only option was to use a bunch of them for a wider start area which drives the cost way up and I'm still waiting around forever for the damn things to work :-)

The way the 560 is designed, with dampers and fan, will allow you to leave the unburned charcoal to remain in place. Removing the dampers, turning the grill on, with a firestarter in the charcoal grate, will start the fire very well. Starting charcoal in a chimney, dumping it and pouring more charcoal on is just adding unneeded steps. In most cases, I'm at 250 degrees when the coals in the chimney would be ready to dump

Thanks Rex I'll check it out and the above is correct one of the sell points for the 560 is the time to temp and ease of start. You can have it up and running to 700 degrees in less than 15 mins. I know a torch will work but easier for me to just pop in a starter and shut the door..lazy bones I' am and all lol. I also like the fact that I can dump a 12-16 lb bag of briquettes in and not have to fill it for several cooks depending on what I' am cooking. I had gotten another Firestarter that was too thick so this ones perfect.

Reactions: Will Squared
Thanks Rex I'll check it out and the above is correct one of the sell points for the 560 is the time to temp and ease of start. You can have it up and running to 700 degrees in less than 15 mins. I know a torch will work but easier for me to just pop in a starter and shut the door..lazy bones I' am and all lol. I also like the fact that I can dump a 12-16 lb bag of briquettes in and not have to fill it for several cooks depending on what I' am cooking. I had gotten another Firestarter that was too thick so this ones perfect.

Well, in my case, it takes a little while longer to 700, but it is fast.

Reactions: negolien
The Fire Box is the bottom 3 inches of the Hopper.
There is a small rack (two wires) under the Fire Box that is accessed through the Ash Bin door.
I use wood stove starter wax sticks.
The beauty of the 560 is the up flow through the Fire Box to the manifold controlled by the fan.

One night while shutting it down at 11 one night I forgot to put in the slides that shut it down Totally. The next morning there were still live coals and the hopper had only burnt down about 4 inches. I just topped it off, cranked the fan and it took right off.

I was drying bananas for several days and the 560 would hold rock steady at 155'.

Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky