5 hr. Pulled Pork cook. Stall at 200 degrees?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Greyguy

Original poster
May 16, 2018
I decided to try Jeff’s 5 hr. cook for pulled pork at 300 degrees. ( I too was tired of starting at 6am and not reaching meat temp of 205 until 8pm.)
I had two chunks of pork butt about 4 and 5 lbs. I followed Jeff’s directions and the smaller chunk reached 205 in about 41/2 hours but I couldn’t get it to 206. (It would just go back and forth from 204 to 205). I took it off and it seems fine but maybe a little tougher and dryer than others I have done. The larger one got to 200 degrees but wouldn’t go up past 201 for over 1 1/2 hours so far. 7 hours total. Do I just wait it out? Is it a stall at that temp?

I decided to try Jeff’s 5 hr. cook for pulled pork at 300 degrees. ( I too was tired of starting at 6am and not reaching meat temp of 205 until 8pm.)
I had two chunks of pork butt about 4 and 5 lbs. I followed Jeff’s directions and the smaller chunk reached 205 in about 41/2 hours but I couldn’t get it to 206. (It would just go back and forth from 204 to 205). I took it off and it seems fine but maybe a little tougher and dryer than others I have done. The larger one got to 200 degrees but wouldn’t go up past 201 for over 1 1/2 hours so far. 7 hours total. Do I just wait it out? Is it a stall at that temp?
I can't speak to yours but we had one that took 18 hours and 5 1/2 hours for the last 10°...
The 8 pounder I smoked today took 5 hours (13.5 hours total) to go from 185 to 205...I've had others completely finished in under an hour per pound or 8 hours for an 8 pounder
Now I am low and slow...my CC never hot over 255 and cruised in the 235-240 range all day, but that's normal...
So, in short...WHO KNOWS...lol...I'd have to say that the laws of thermodynamics absolutely dictates that at a CC temp of 300° that eventually your roast will get to 207-209...

I use temp as an indicator of when to probe, not when it is done. When it passed a probe test and the bone lets loose it’s done.

2DDE243D-FC9A-4355-BF9D-5F9936246C81.jpeg
0AB940BD-C912-4593-8B6F-5E81A36C519E.jpeg

I smoked 5 pork butts today. @ 280 for appox 7 hours.
2 of the butts wasn't probe tender when the other pork butts was done,so I smoked them about 1/2 hour longer.
I usually try and achieve probe tender through out the butt or have good bone wiggle.
First 3 I pulled at 200 and the last 2 I pulled @ 207.

I'm not sure if you had a stall smoking at 300 or not. I would just push them through until they are probe tender. Meat is done when it's done.

Reactions: Sparky9
I smoked 5 pork butts today. @ 280 for appox 7 hours.
2 of the butts wasn't probe tender when the other pork butts was done,so I smoked them about 1/2 hour longer.
I usually try and achieve probe tender through out the butt or have good bone wiggle.
First 3 I pulled at 200 and the last 2 I pulled @ 207.

I'm not sure if you had a stall smoking at 300 or not. I would just push them through until they are probe tender. Meat is done when it's done.

Exactamente...

Thanks all for the replies. Well, the larger piece finally reached 206 degrees and it was moist and tender. Perfect.
What is this “probe tender” thing you guys talk about? I know about pulling bone away to check for tenderness.
Thanks

No one ever thinks to teach pigs to tell time, then we bitch because they can't! <Chuckles>

I always do butts and briskets ahead of time so I can allow the meat to cook till its happy. It's all about patience. besides if I do it low and slow I don't have to worry about it and it affords me the opportunity to use some finishing sauce. Then when ready just throw it in a crock put, have small hot buns, a little pot of hot BBQ sauce, and a bowl of slaw. I generally expect mine to take 18 to 24 hours although I have had a 6 hour smoke to perfection. There is just not a guarantee.

Pigs can't tell time.

Thanks all for the replies. Well, the larger piece finally reached 206 degrees and it was moist and tender. Perfect.
What is this “probe tender” thing you guys talk about? I know about pulling bone away to check for tenderness.
Thanks

Take something small and sharp and poke around the meat. When you pull the “probe” out and it feels like you are pulling it out of soft/ warm butter (no resistance) it is good. Some people use a tooth pick, I use a thermapen.

I use the same technique for brisket, pulled pork, and ribs. Tri tip or prime rib is a different story, then I go by temp.

Take something small and sharp and poke around the meat. When you pull the “probe” out and it feels like you are pulling it out of soft/ warm butter (no resistance) it is good. Some people use a tooth pick, I use a thermapen.

I use the same technique for brisket, pulled pork, and ribs. Tri tip or prime rib is a different story, then I go by temp.

I'm thinking you have that Backwards, my friend. The probe is testing to see if sufficient connective tissue has broken down into Gelatin. At this point the meat fibers have little holding them together, so the probe slides IN with no resistance. The meat will now Pull easily. You can stick a therm probe in Raw meat and it will slide out with no resistance, because the meat juices lubricate it.
In any event, Welcome and thanks for offing your assistance to a fellow member...JJ

I'm thinking you have that Backwards, my friend. The probe is testing to see if sufficient connective tissue has broken down into Gelatin. At this point the meat fibers have little holding them together, so the probe slides IN with no resistance. The meat will now Pull easily. You can stick a therm probe in Raw meat and it will slide out with no resistance, because the meat juices lubricate it.
In any event, Welcome and thanks for offing your assistance to a fellow member...JJ

True, I totally agree. I was a few beers in when I posted that last night. I should have said in and out with no resistance.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I'm trying Jeff's 300°, 5 hour butt today. As we all know, each piece of meat is different. Mine is determined to be difficult. About 6.5 pounds, it didn't hit the 165° mark until 5.5 hours in. We're just past the 6 hour mark now, and IT is still 176°. :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

Reactions: wbf610
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky