5 1/2 lb turkey breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jfv316

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2016
Happy Thanksgiving. I am getting ready to smoke a 5 1/2 lb bone in turkey breast. I’m reaching out to the experts to find out the best temp to smoke and approximate time. I know time is never certain, and that I need a 165 temp. Also , it’s been in brine for 24 hours. Should I inject as well? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Love
Reactions: negolien
You’ve brined already so injecting is really not necessary. Optimally if skin is important you’d have pulled from brine and let it dry in frig uncovered for a day. I would just dry it with paper towels. Spray with olive oil, get rub up under the skin really well. I smoked breast at 275F. My guess on time 3- 4 hours. I could be off a mile on time. I’d pull at 158-160 and let it coast up to 165 on cutting board

Reactions: negolien
You’ve brined already so injecting is really not necessary. Optimally if skin is important you’d have pulled from brine and let it dry in frig uncovered for a day. I would just dry it with paper towels. Spray with olive oil, get rub up under the skin really well. I smoked breast at 275F. My guess on time 3- 4 hours. I could be off a mile on time. I’d pull at 158-160 and let it coast up to 165 on cutting board
Thank you. Also, where it’s just a breast, should i spatchcock?

Here's a thread that may or may not answer some questions or support what your plan is . I inject Before I soak . Like Jeff said , no need to now .

Don't spatch the breast . At least I wouldn't .

The only reason that we spatch a bird is so the white & dark meat get done at the same time. If you’re just doing a breast, there is no advantage to spatching it.
Al

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky