5 1/2 lb turkey breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

jfv316

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2016
Happy Thanksgiving. I am getting ready to smoke a 5 1/2 lb bone in turkey breast. I’m reaching out to the experts to find out the best temp to smoke and approximate time. I know time is never certain, and that I need a 165 temp. Also , it’s been in brine for 24 hours. Should I inject as well? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Love
Reactions: negolien

jcam222

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
You’ve brined already so injecting is really not necessary. Optimally if skin is important you’d have pulled from brine and let it dry in frig uncovered for a day. I would just dry it with paper towels. Spray with olive oil, get rub up under the skin really well. I smoked breast at 275F. My guess on time 3- 4 hours. I could be off a mile on time. I’d pull at 158-160 and let it coast up to 165 on cutting board

Reactions: negolien

jfv316

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2016
You’ve brined already so injecting is really not necessary. Optimally if skin is important you’d have pulled from brine and let it dry in frig uncovered for a day. I would just dry it with paper towels. Spray with olive oil, get rub up under the skin really well. I smoked breast at 275F. My guess on time 3- 4 hours. I could be off a mile on time. I’d pull at 158-160 and let it coast up to 165 on cutting board
Thank you. Also, where it’s just a breast, should i spatchcock?

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Here's a thread that may or may not answer some questions or support what your plan is . I inject Before I soak . Like Jeff said , no need to now .

Don't spatch the breast . At least I wouldn't .

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
The only reason that we spatch a bird is so the white & dark meat get done at the same time. If you’re just doing a breast, there is no advantage to spatching it.
Al

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker

Latest posts

Hot Threads