• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

3rd Batch Dry Cure

sgriff49

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 19, 2016
Started with a fresh belly I picked up at local butcher

Rinse off and patted dry then squared off and divided in 3. Pulled out scale and weight them each was 2 lbs each

I'm using TQ which calls for 1 TBS for each pound of meat. Did each in separate bowl. I followed Bear's method of not mixing my sugar with TQ so I made sure to equally spread on slabs.

Next I used 3 TBS of brown sugar since I like bacon sweat then added 2 teaspoons of maple sugar. Trying Maple sugar this time not pure Maple Syrup. I added 2 teaspoons of bourbon and some freshly ground black pepper. I mix this together and spread over slabs any mix that falls off scrap into bag

I use my food saver bags for this vaccuming out a little air and then seal. I like this cause you don't get and seeping of fluids.

I will brine these slabs a total of 10 days instead of 7. That is the day I can smoke them on my Traeger!

wade

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 12, 2013
Nice looking belly. Looking forward to seeing the result 

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Great Start, Griff !!!

I like to square mine off after smoking though.

That way I get more Smoked Bacon ends.

Be Back--

Bear

sgriff49

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 19, 2016
I didn't want to but saved the strips I cut off. Will figure something out to do with

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I didn't want to but saved the strips I cut off. Will figure something out to do with
Probably Fry them up & make a good little Stir Fry with them.

Bear

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Great start!

Al

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.