3.8# Tri Tip with qView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tasty looking tri tip! They really don't take long at all to smoke. As was said above it's really more like a steak not a roast. For serving thick sliced goes great with mashed garlic taters and smoker roasted veggies. Thin sliced is excellent as French dip sandwees with smokey Au Jus. Cubed goes great in shepherds pie. Strips work great in stroganoff.

I love my tri-tip on these rolls. The salty and sweet combo works great.

I want to switch my recipe up sometimes but the wife will not let me. It is the only item I BBQ that the wife tells me I can't change. And I always have to get the sweet Hawaiian rolls.
OMG tri tip on King's Hawaiian rolls, I'm going to have to try that!

Joopster - great job on the tri tip, it looks absolutely perfect!

How do you all normally reheat? We had some tonight on a roll with au jus...not quite as good as last night but hood nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you all normally reheat? We had some tonight on a roll with au jus...not quite as good as last night but hood nonetheless.

If I am doing sandwees then I reheat the thin slices in warm Au Jus. I use this recipe as a base, it is really good, and I always do a pan of it when I smoke trip tip or other beef roasts. I like to substitute a good porter or stout beer for the wine.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/chef-jimmyjs-smokey-au-jus

Looks good. But I always like to pull mine at 130-135 and then throw over the coals for a couple minutes per side to get a good sear on it. Tri-tip is very good for reverse searing. 

This looks great!  Tri-Tips are a bit tricky to find here in most of my grocery stores but I've been noticing Costco has them.......but then again they are around $8/lb even from Costco, but I guess when you are the only one in town with them you can get what you want for them.

I'm not an expert, but does this look to anyone else like a sirloin cap rather than a tri-tip?
I was thinking that I had never seen a tri tip that big before. (almost 4 pounds!) So I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be something else.

Looks incredible.  I've got two tri-tips in the freezer waiting to be cooked, and it will be my first time doing TTs.  Can't wait after looking at your pics.

I usually reheat the tri-tip in foil and with some juices that I put away with it. I put in the oven at about 200 for a few minutes to warm it up. Keeps moisture and it is really delicious.

We can't get 4 lb tri-tips around here. We get the Santa Maria cuts here which are 1.3-2.0 lbs at the most. But in talking to the butcher, he said that many grocery stores, in particular, will sell the sirloin tip roast as a tri-tip label. Those sirloin tip roasts can be a great deal larger; but the meat is still really tasty also.

Well, it really doesn't matter. It was a beautiful meat and beautifully prepared. It totally looked delicious. Nothing that we can do about the butchers and meat cutters in the stores and their labelling. You gave me inspiration to try to find something similar...and put a Mexican type fajita flavor on it.

The pictures of the meat in a tortilla and pico de gallo salsa sounded so good.

Great Job!

Thanks. I just hope I can find the same cut next time!

I have a tri-tip I am going to do today - it's just a touch over two pounds so I will let everyone know if this cut here is the same as a traditional tri-tip.

Joopster, hello . You have a nice looking Tri-Tip. I noticed you used S/CBP , exactly what Beef needs. On spot ,my Smoking Friend...

Have a nice Holiday and as always . . .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky