3-2-1 method - What are some alternatives to using apple juice as the liquid?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hkeiner

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Hi,

Are there many alternative liquids that can  be used when doing the 3-2-1 method for pork ribs? That is, the liquid put in the foil with the ribs during the "2" phase. I have been using apple juice (and it works just fine ) but often I don't have any on hand. Rather than going out to buy a large container of apple juice (with a lot of it going unused) I was wondering if any of the other liquids that I often do have on hand would be OK to use.

Any opinions/experience on whether any of the altenatives listed below would be OK to use or if they would result in a certain disaster?

- Beer

- White wine

- Water (perhaps flavored with seasonings)

- Cola (Pepsi)

- Lemon soda (Sprite)

- Orange juice

- Nothing at all

Last edited:
I would say just about anything you like.

I usually use Apple Juice & some kind of a BBQ sauce mixed.

My last smoke (I just posted today) was two chuckies.

I do the same with them---This time I added a mixture of:

I foiled them at 168˚ and 171˚, and added to each package (after bringing to boil):

1 ounce of Sweet Baby Ray's

1 ounce of Ken's Teriyaki Marinade

3 ounces of Pomegranate Juice

2 ounces of water

It tasted great,

Bear

To that list I would add

Beef Broth

Rum (diluted)

Liquid Crab boil diluted with broth or water  (ask Eman!)

Thinned BBQ Sauce

Al

Cider Vinegar mixed with Spiced rum & brown sugar is pretty good...

Honey & Cider Vinagar is also pretty good...

A lot of differetn Fruit Juices will work... IMO i would stay awy from OJ & Lemon Soda though... just dont know if that would be a good choice...

I just use beer, no problem drinking the rest of the bottle.   
icon_mrgreen.gif

Be very careful if using straight honey as it can burn pretty easy.

You can use any fruit juice.  I like apple , cranberry, mango, white grape,

Have tried a few citrus juices and IMHO it seemed to make the meat a lil mushy .

So it seems that using beer, white wine, or Pepsi would not be a big mistake. Only one at a time, not mixed all together.

Thought I would ask instead of learning from experience in case one of these was a very bad idea. Thanks for the opinions...

Last edited:
Get some squeeze bottle butter. When foiling coat them with honey and the butter then wrap them up

Last edited:
I have used alot of fruit juices apple,grape,guava,cherry,pomeranate,even lemonade once.

I tend not to use citrus too much because the acid will make the meat mushy...found that out!

Also like coke-cola,dr. pepper

Most of the time i will add some butter brown sugar or some rum and honey too.

It's really a personal choice on what you want to use, let your imagination go wild!!!

Any opinions/experience on whether any of the altenatives listed below would be OK to use or if they would result in a certain disaster?

- Beer

- White wine

- Water (perhaps flavored with seasonings)

- Cola (Pepsi)

- Lemon soda (Sprite)

- Orange juice

- Nothing at all
Many BBQers foil with no liquid with good results, at least judging from replies to previous similar threads.

Citrus should be used with a spicy or citus rub IMHO.

I use 2-3 tbs light brown sugar and 1-2 tbs BBQ sauce when I foil ribs, you don't need much liquid in the foil.

I don't put any liquid in the foil  with my ribs. I do the Johnny Trigg method which is adding brown sugar, butter, honey and some times tiger sauce. These ingredients will end up making some nice flavor and liquid in the foil and they will come out tender just like you were adding any other liquid in the foil. I cut my rack in half and one half gets the Johnny Trigg treatment for me and the other half usually gets apple juice for my wife since she doesn't like all of the sweet stuff on her ribs.

I'm a big fan of no liquid, but then again I only cook spares so they're a little more forgiving.  I get plenty of tenderness without any juice.  In the past I have used a mix of Dr. Pepper, garlic powder, and a little apple cider vinegar.

I don't add liquid during the foil stage but you could  add the drippings from the ribs themselves.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky