1st Try At Smoking Bacon and a Question or Two

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AllAces

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
This will be my first try at smoking bacon with my MES 30 using Pop's Brine, A-Maze-N smoker and either A-Maze-N Pitmasters Choice pellets or their hickory dust. The Ft Gordon Commissary had some pork belly sliced into one inch thick slabs. Some times they have single slabs but they sell out quickly. Here's the plan:
First Question: Since the belly is five pieces, one inch thick each, how long should I brine?
After the brine, I plan to let the belly dry in the fridge for 24-36 hours.
After resting, I plan to remove the skin from four pieces. The piece with the skin and one piece without skin will be smoked without any spices added. One piece will be coated on the skin side with course black pepper; one piece will be coated on the skin with a mixture of garlic powder, onion powder and pepper; the third piece will be coated with honey and maple syrup; and the final piece will get a coating of dark brown sugar.
I plan to bring the MES to 165F and go for 145F internal temperture.
Second Question: Any suggestions?
DSC06409.JPG

Al, that might be the right way to go with these. I have to cook later in the year for my sportsman's club and burnt ends sound like the perfect meal for a bunch of hungry dudes. This batch will be a trial run. BTW, would you go skin on or skin off? or maybe some of each.

I would take the skin off, if you have a sharp knife and take your time it comes off real easy. I have a skinning knife that is curved so you don't cut thru the skin. Here is a video of a guy skinning a belly, I realize it's a whole belly, but the principal is the same.

Hope this helps!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky