1st Try at a Smoked Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
I've seen a quite a few done on the forum and they all looked great. So I decided to try smoking a turkey for myself. I bought this 15.5 lber. after Thanksgiving for 0.59 cents a pound, and let it go into a deep sleep until warmer weather came upon us. Cheap enough if I screw it up. It was already enhanced so I didn't bother with a brine. Well it hit the mid 60's yesterday so out came the WSM. Just injected it with the broth from the heart, neck and giblets. I added pepper, onion powder, butter and garlic powder to the mix after wifey ate the gizzards.

Here's the bird in it's naked glory. Seasoned with Weber rub.
DSC00479.JPG

Out on the WSM at a temp of 300 to 325.
DSC00480.JPG

A couple hours in. Smoking with hickory since I didn't have any apple chunks. She's getting a beauty of a tan.
DSC00482.JPG

It's getting there.
DSC00483.JPG

All finished.
DSC00484.JPG

Sliced off the breast. Pic doesn't show how juicy it was
DSC00485.JPG

She's all carved up for supper.
DSC00486.JPG

I didn't get a chance for a plated shot yesterday. So here's one of today's lunch. Waiting for the gravey to heat up.
DSC00487.JPG

And one for Lunch tomorrow.
DSC00488.JPG

I have to say that I impressed the misses and myself with this bird. She's actually considering letting me smoke the turkey for next Thankgiving. I know it probably won't happen, but it's a step in the right direction. She always gets the first cut. She loved the skin, it was crispy and tasty. Overall I was very very pleased with how this bird came out. I thought the hickory would overpower the bird, but it just added another layer of flavor. Maybe because I only used two smaller chunks. It definitely made an inexpensive turkey taste like an expensive one.

Thanks for sharing my journey.

Chris

That looks great, the color is wonderful! We love smoked turkey, and it makes wonderful leftovers. I take the remainder of the meat, shred it and do things like smoked turkey enchiladas, or even plain old turkey sammys!!

Points for a great cook, and great deal at .59 per lb!

Oh My Word...
You done the WHOLE Bird! :eek:
It certainly looks wonderful!
Did the smokey goodness get into the meat well?
I don't think I could get much of a bird in my MES 30. :rolleyes:

I don't know why, but I've had a rotisserie Chicken on my mind.
But my mind is like a slough, slow and full of disgusting stuff.
One day I'll probably get a bird and do it. :)

Absolute Beauty Chris!
I have to say that I impressed the misses and myself with this bird. She's actually considering letting me smoke the turkey for next Thankgiving. I know it probably won't happen, but it's a step in the right direction.
I am "tasked" with smoking a turkey more often than every Thanksgiving.I use apple/pecan 50/50.
Carousel.

Wow! Fine job chris! That looks dynamite! Anybody would be happy with that bird on the table for thanksgiving!

Scott

That turkey turned out awesome! I am always afraid to do one on the WSM, afraid its going to turn out like the Christmas dinner turkey from Christmas Vacation.

That looks great, the color is wonderful! We love smoked turkey, and it makes wonderful leftovers. I take the remainder of the meat, shred it and do things like smoked turkey enchiladas, or even plain old turkey sammys!!

Points for a great cook, and great deal at .59 per lb!

Thanks 73, It was a shadow brook farms turkey - if I remember correctly. The leftovers from here on out are going into turkey soup. I did vacuum seal some of the meat for future lunches. Thanks for the like appreciate it.

Oh My Word...
You done the WHOLE Bird! :eek:
It certainly looks wonderful!
Did the smokey goodness get into the meat well?
I don't think I could get much of a bird in my MES 30. :rolleyes:

I don't know why, but I've had a rotisserie Chicken on my mind.
But my mind is like a slough, slow and full of disgusting stuff.

One day I'll probably get a bird and do it. :)

Thanks Sonny, I've done chickens before and they've turned out pretty good. Poultry takes on smoke really quick so I tried to minimize the smokiness of the bird by reducing the amount of wood. It happened to work perfect for out tastes. You should try one - if I can do it anyone can.

Absolute Beauty Chris!

I am "tasked" with smoking a turkey more often than every Thanksgiving.I use apple/pecan 50/50.
Carousel.

Thanks for the response Moto, Fortunately I've been married to the same woman for 33 years, Christmas and Thanksgiving have always been her forte. I'm just hoping to sneak one in before it's too late.

Chris

Reactions: SonnyE
Fortunately I've been married to the same woman for 33 years, Christmas and Thanksgiving have always been her forte. I'm just hoping to sneak one in before it's too late.

Mine seems to think that cooking for 60 of her 65 years makes her some kind of an expert... :confused: o_O
Listen, if you wear pants, and you are a guy, you are automatically wrong. :(:p
I just roll with it. :)

That’s is a beautiful bird Chris. One of my favorite things to smoke. In fact I was thinking on doing one this weekend. I hope it turns out as nice as yours. Like! B

Mods can someone move this over to the poultry forum. Sorry.

That’s is a beautiful bird Chris. One of my favorite things to smoke. In fact I was thinking on doing one this weekend. I hope it turns out as nice as yours. Like! B

Thanks for the like B. It's a first for me, but won't be my last.

Great job on the big bird Chris! Like! Love the rich color.

Weedeater

Thanks weedeater, I was happy it didn't go any further on the color. I'd have a hard time getting my wife to try it if it did. Thanks for the like appreciate it.

Chris

Awesome looking turkey Chris!
I'm sure there will be many more of them coming off your WSM!
Congrats on getting a spin on the carousel!!
I also moved this to the poultry section.
Al

Chris That bird is beautiful should be a magazine cover shot. Point worthy
Richie

Wow! Fine job chris! That looks dynamite! Anybody would be happy with that bird on the table for thanksgiving!

Scott

Thanks Scott - I'm happy it didn't burn.

That turkey turned out awesome! I am always afraid to do one on the WSM, afraid its going to turn out like the Christmas dinner turkey from Christmas Vacation.

Thanks Geebs. Go for it. The WSM is a wonderful smoker/cooker. I was a little weary when I started it also, but I figured at 59 cents/lb it was a win/win.

Thanks for the like B. Go for it and let us know. Turkey has definitely moved up the ladder on my favorite things to do.

Awesome looking turkey Chris!
I'm sure there will be many more of them coming off your WSM!
Congrats on getting a spin on the carousel!!
I also moved this to the poultry section.
Al

Thanks Al I was worried about it getting to dark, so I tented it for the last hour or so of cooking. Also thanks for the ride, point and moving of the thread. I'm not sure how I did that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky